9810993074_77d85d3465.jpg

9811005394_f928edc879.jpg

9811080955_c9ed1e2de8.jpg

Another filthy Mouseketeer seatbelt:
Before
9811579973_669f8286aa.jpg

After
9784953532_feffb5b0b3.jpg

:coffee2: Cool . . . . pro-gress!! Duke is probably yawning wondering what the hell is goin' on . . . . . not wasting daylight anymore!! :thumblef: Rog

:coffee2: Cool . . . . pro-gress!! Duke is probably yawning wondering what the hell is goin' on . . . . . not wasting daylight anymore!! :thumblef: Rog

Doubt if he's yawning.......probably wondering who's sticking a wire wheel up his ***:D

Last edited:
Almost 60,000 views on this thread. And so, I would like to take a moment to thank all you viewers, past and present, who have viewed the thread and spurred me on....including my son Chris whose purchase of a '74 Duster has kicked me back into action.
I'd also like to say thanks to The Duke for hangin' in there for thirty years.
Thanks, all!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Almost 60,000 views on this thread. And so, I would like to take a moment to thank all you viewers, past and present, who have viewed the thread and spurred me on....including my son Chris whose purchase of a '74 Duster has kicked me back into action.
I'd also like to say thanks to The Duke for hangin' in there for thirty years.
Thanks, all!:prayer:
Thanks for the entertainment . . . :happy1: Rog

..."and then one day you find//Ten years have got behind you//No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun...."
Pink Floyd, "TIME", Dark Side Of The Moon

Life is cyclical, ebbing and flowing like a river. Always in motion; always changing. Sometimes we embrace the change; sometimes we resist it. Try as you might, you can'’t stop change. It will come whether or not you are ready (or willing) and leave you in the dust if you'’re not ready to climb aboard. I’'m talking about life stages, not just day-to-day changes.

Why is the Captain dredging this up and waxing philosophical? Well, because I was just thinking, pondering, wondering why, exactly, I’'ve gone so banzai on The Duke lately, after such a long hiatus as I experienced. And the answer has eluded me…… until now.

See, this is not simply a change in routine; a re-kindled interest in an old hobby. Not this time. It’s different, you see. This is more of a paradigm shift; a lifestyle change. Why? Well, let me tell you….

There are those moments of clarity when something ‘rocks the boat’, makes you grip the side railings a little tighter…. And then, there are those moments when you'’re chucked into the icy-cold water, head-first, and emerge frigid, wet, gasping for air and in shock. The moment when you stare at your face in the mirror for more than a cursory glance while shaving and ask yourself, “What the hell…

Yep, this was one of them.

It started, I suppose, with my son Chris buying his own Duster, a ’74 318-powered car, all gussied up in a glowing coat of orange enamel that looked, from a distance, shockingly similar to the Li'’l Red Minx of yore…; so much that my heart skipped a beat and I did a double-take as I walked up on it. Seeing fuzzy cell phone pictures is one thing, but walking up on a blast from the past is a real slap in the face. It was like seeing the ghost of one long departed. That in itself was not the game changer; it was the talking afterward about Dusters, dredging up memories, attending a few car shows, revisiting my favorite FABO website and reading through other resto posts that caused me to venture once again out into The Duke’'s lair and lift, once again, the dusty blue tarp that covered him like a burial shroud.

And look; ponder…..

Not that I haven'’t done that before; no...…many, many times. So, why was this time different?

Because….I realized, for the first time ever, that it’s time to '**** or get off the pot'. That there are only so many grains of sand left in the ol'’ hour glass, and that the time was NOW …do or die. (or, dare I say it…..sell?). See, this project has morphed from a "get'r-back-on-the-road-again" fling into a major undertaking. And I realized, maybe for the first time ever, that I’'ve got to throw everything I'’ve got into it, or it will never, ever get finished.

Now, by ‘finished’, I mean rolling, running, driveable. I realize that I will probably ALWAYS be tweaking, fiddling, re-working, improving things…. And that'’s OK. That’'s the point at which it becomes, once again, just a hobby. Right now, for me to get it where I want it, it has to, has to! …...become a lifestyle; a driving force. Otherwise, I will continue to putter as my interest waxes and wanes and competes with my other hobbies and interests. And, staring at that face in the mirror, I realize I'’m not ready to walk away from The Duke. Not now. There are too many memories, too much emotional investment, blood, sweat and tears to walk away now. But if I don'’t dig my spurs in this horse, NOW, I’'m never gonna finish the race.
So...……Giddyup!

Last edited:
:coffee2:Well I for one am glad you got off the pot . . . . you are a top ten. One other thing . . . "running . . . rolling . . . and drivable" . . . will not be good enuff when you get there. Dependable and beautiful will drive you.

Keep at it my friend . . . . and have some fun along the way. Rog

:coffee2:Well I for one am glad you got off the pot . . . . you are a top ten. One other thing . . . "running . . . rolling . . . and drivable" . . . will not be good enuff when you get there. Dependable and beautiful will drive you.

Keep at it my friend . . . . and have some fun along the way. Rog

Thanks, Rog. I know 'RRD' won't be enough....and that's OK. I just have to have that carrot dangling out there on the string to keep the motivation up, and 'RRD' is something reachable; attainable.
Actually, my initial goal is to have a rolling chassis by June (winter hiatus included!) That's a pretty lofty goal for a half-rusty bare chassis on jack stands, but I think I can do it if I push myself (which I've been doing; trust me!)
I appreciate you following my thread and your words of encouragement!

INTO THE DRAGON'S LAIR
©2013

One of the hardest parts of looking in the mirror is facing the truths that stare back at you. It's easy to overlook the wrinkles and graying hair and lie to yourself that you still look twenty. It's far easier to deny what you see and pat yourself on the back and wink, give yourself a thumbs-up and make goofy clicking noises with your tongue in a Fonzie sort of way (Heeeeeeyyy!)
The truth can be ugly.
But truth, ugly as it may be, is all part of this paradigm shift I was talking about; and we have to be honest with ourselves about things.
I'm being honest about the car...I've realized that if I don't start kickin' some ***, that I will never finish it. Adjustments made, ***-kickin' in progress. But as much progress as I've made on the interior, I need to be honest with myself. I've been avoiding the dragon...
The underside of the car.
Now, I've mentioned the progress I made before I quit working on it; good progress; great progress! In fact, The Duke sits Rust Reformer'd all the way back to the rear wheel wells. And that's where I stopped. That's where the rust gets heavy, flaky, dirty and mingled with haphazard undercoating. A real mess. My dragon.
And looking into that mirror, I see that this is a mental stumbling block; a barrier. And I need to get past it.
True confessions; I've been avoiding this for years. So, I clear out everything under and behind The Duke, roll out the two-ton jack sporting the 3.91 differential complete with leaf springs and shackles on it from under the car and roll underneath on my creeper armed with a drill and wire wheel, trouble light, scraper and wire brush, and gaze up at the dragon...
Son of a *****! That is one Ugly Mother! I was really hoping my imagination had blown things out of proportion; made it worse than it really was, but...nope. Heavy scale, dirt, and tar undercoating. And the only way to get at it was to, well...
I took a deep breath and jabbed my blade into the sleeping dragon, up to the hilt and as hard as I could muster the strength for.

Red Rain is coming down, Red Rain // Red Rain is pouring down, pouring down all over me Peter Gabriel, Red Rain

Well, it felt like red rain, anyway, pouring down all over me; into my hair, face eyes, ears...ears, for cryin' out loud! In a few minutes I was covered with a fine mist of the stuff, grinding away at the worst of it with the wire wheel, my work area looking like a Martian sandstorm. Fortunately, I had my ceiling-hung fan on HI and the garage door cracked; a lot of the dust was being pushed and/or sucked out the door. Over the next few days of this mistreatment, however, I notice a fine red film over everything in the garage, including the bikes, workbench, shelving and my tools. Damn. My fears are not ungrounded; this job is a freakin' mess and a bloody nightmare. Once I hit the area behind the rear seat, it really starts to suck, in a major way. There are so many goofy little brackets, gussets, sharp corners, etc that it makes getting in there with a wire wheel difficult, and in many places impossible. What it needs is sandblasting. And that ain't gonna happen. Even if I had the equipment there is no way in hell I would spray that nasty **** all over my garage, no way. So I have to continue to use the wire wheel, wire brush and sandpaper and hope for the best and hope Rust Reformer really does what it claims to do.

***​

After two weeks in the Dragon's Lair, we are both bloodied and battle-weary. It's hard to tell who is winning; who is losing. Every evening, save but a few, I don the armor and board my ship for the Land Down Under. And I wallow in the Red Rain until it's late and I reluctantly sweep up, move my displaced differential, stack o' tires, lawn mower and Nighthawk back inside, switch off the radio and lights and lock 'er down. Measuring my progress in square feet is depressing; it's not a large area, relatively speaking, but it takes such a concentrated effort to get it clean enough for my satisfaction. I'm not happy just knocking off the loose scale; I want the rust polished and burnished as much as I can. How can Rust Reformer, or anything layered on top of it work, if you don't have a fairly clean base to apply it to? (despite what the can says about brush off loose flaky rust and apply) I have my doubts… maybe I'm over-thinking the situation. But it seems fairly logical to me.
Last night I rolled out from the Land Down Under, the Dragon's Lair, weary, disheveled and bloodied from another tumultuous skirmish with the Evil Red Dust. I opened the garage door all the way and swept the nasty orange powder out from under the Duster (maybe I should call it a Rust-er). I had leaned down under the right rear wheel well to gather up my WMD's (Weapons of Mass De-rust-tion) and the scraper caught on the fender well flare and clattered clumsily to the concrete.
Dammit! I scowled at the car in front of me and grumbled: Pick that up, damn you!
YOU, Valance. YOU pick it up.
Startled, I jerked my head back and banged the back of my skull into the fender flare and dropped the rest of my WMD's in the process.
DAMMIT, Duke! Don'cha know not to sneak up on a man like that?!!!
He laughed that growly laugh that only the Duke can laugh; Haw, haw haw!
WELL, HELLO, Cappy! Growing jumpy in your old age, are ya?

I ain't jumpy, Duke. Ya scared the hell outta me is all. A man oughta learn to knock! And don't call me Cappy. I hate that!
He perched his hat back on his head a ways and opened his eyes wide; another trademark Duke look,and his voice softened; A man shouldn't have to knock to enter his own house, Cappy.
Damn it! You're right, Duke. You were here first.
He stuck his hands in his back pockets and leaned back, then nodded at the motorcycles on the other half of the garage.
It's been a while, Cappy. But I see you've been busy; real busy.
Aw, c'mon, Duke. Them's my horses. Iron Horses. My remuda. War Ponies.
He snorted. Haw; more like buffalo.
From beneath his cover, B.Rex growled a low, gutteral growl, lion-like, although muffled.
Easy, Duke. They're good horses. The big one; He's fast as lightning and strong as a Clydesdale.
He raised his eyebrows. Is that so? But you could see the glimmer of respect in his eyes.
Been kinda..quiet out here lately, Cappy. I was beginning to wonder if you'd run out on me.
No, Duke, not run out. Just got busy with living; you know how it is. A man gets caught up in work and living and family and such. And don't call me Cappy..you know I hate that.
He managed to both ignore and interrupt me at the same time. So what sorta clothes are ya planning on dressing me up in, Cappy? Don't tell me any of that sissy foo-foo dandy crap like Monsieur Paul Regret? (the monsieur spoken as he did in "The Comancheros"; Mon-SOO-er)
No, Duke; I always thought you looked pretty good in Winchester Gray. It suits;if you catch my drift...
He fairly beamed at this. Removing his dusty Stetson, he poked his head under the area I was working and softly murmured; Why, that looks real good, Cappy. Real good. That little filly; that Red Minx; why, she'd real be proud of you, I think.
Without thinking I blurted out, I ain't doin' it for me this time, Duke. Not for me. I'm doin' this one for you.
He seemed noticeably taken aback; and for a second, just a split-second, I thought I saw his eyes getting misty, then he grinned that classic Duke grin. Well, you keep it up, Cappy, it's looking real good. I'll check back later. See ya, Cappy!
No, wait, Duke! See, I gotta ask ya...Duke? Duke...?
I was alone in the garage, and talking to myself. And I guess I'd been alone the whole damn time. Or was I?
YOU, Valance. YOU pick it up.
I wonder.

***​

I peered out into the darkness of the night, blinded by the fluorescents that hung in the garage. I couldn't see a thing, but I swear I heard hoof beats moving away from me, growing faint, and then fading away completely, and then all that was left was the chirping of crickets, and silence. The things I'd moved outside had a layer of dew on them and a fall mist hung in the air. While the temperatures were still warm; no jackets needed yet; there was an autumn smell to the air, a hint of what was yet to come. And standing there in my driveway, alone in the autumn night with the light of a full moon shining through the trees, I thought I heard another sound far off. And moving toward me. It was muffled, unintelligible, but I recognized it nonetheless. And a shiver ran down my spine and I shuddered involuntarily...

You got to hidey-hide // You got to jump and run //You got to hidey-hidey-hide//The old man is down the road. John Fogerty. The Old Man Down The Road, Centerfield

I believe I've mentioned, a time or two, that I can see Ol' Man Winter ambling down the road. A distant, shambling figure, to be sure, but moving closer nonetheless. He looks quite harmless from a distance; a lonely, doddering figure of a man dragging a heavy suitcase and shuffling in a side-to-side, wobbling gait. Occasionally he will stop; right smack-dab in the middle of that dusty road, set his suitcase down and take a seat on it. Then he'll reach up and pull the tattered fedora from his brow and fan himself, right there in the middle of the damn road, tiny beads of sweat rolling down his leathery, weathered brow; the temperatures can still get pretty warm in mid-day September. The shiny crown of his bald head stands out in almost comic relief against the ring of gray, scraggly hair beneath it. But his toothless grin never fades, and it's not a friendly smile. It matches his eyes; cold, unblinking, reptilian. And those eyes seem to bore a hole right through your skull as he stares, and the toothless idiot-grin never wavers. He will set there for a spell, fanning himself and staring as if in no particular hurry to get anywhere, much less out of the middle of the road. Finally, after a while, he will wearily slap the tattered fedora back on, lurch to his feet lifting the beaten and battered suitcase as if it weighed a ton, and begin trudging once again in my direction. The road is flanked by rows of seemingly endless corn on both sides, once a vibrant green, but now brown and withered; swarms of insects hover above the drooping tassels and the leaves rustle at the slightest hint of a breeze, whispering, murmuring something unintelligible but at the same time, we know what secrets it carries. The grass grows long in the ditches and the frogs trill out their song...reeeEEEEE...and the crickets chirp loudly, as if it were their swan song, like the band on the sinking Titanic playing it's last overture before the icy water rolls over the tops of their Oxfords. And, it is. This may well be the last concert for the crickets as well. The locusts hum loudly, like the buzzing from a shorted out transformer high on a utility pole and grasshoppers leap spastically about to the casual observer, you might not notice the change, but it's there. The squirrels no longer scamper and play, but frantically dash to the base of the oak tree by the side of the road, hurriedly stuff their cheeks with as much payload as they can handle, then madly dash towards some secret cache, only to re-emerge minutes later for another load. The mighty oak itself knows, dropping its mast crop on the ground for the busy squirrels to harvest, its leaves beginning to brown at the tips.
He's a son-of-a-*****, that Ol' Man Winter. You never know what he has in that damned suitcase; snow, ice, power outages, deep-freeze, but it looks heavy, damn heavy. Not so very long ago, scores of buffalo, Tatanka, would freeze to death standing in their tracks on the great plains with no burial shroud other than a cold, white blanket of snow to hide them from the world until the spring thaws, when the buzzards would pick their skeletons clean to bleach in the prairie sun. That was in the suitcase. And ranchers, farmers, sod-busters, children doing chores would get hopelessly lost in a raging blizzard just traveling between the house and the barn...that was in there too. Doctors, hitching up their horse and buggy for a late-night house call would never arrive. In more modern times, automobile radiators would swell and burst, spewing green vomit into the stark white snow beneath, batteries would split down the sides, water pipes would burst. And it's all in that damned suitcase.
And so he ambles on in your direction with that to-and-fro gait, grinning that toothless grin and never blinking those yellow eyes.
Yep, a real son-of-a-*****.

Last edited:
Photo of the WDA's (Weapons of Mass Re-Rust-ion)
9961206374_a527e1f312.jpg

Some travel photos of the Land Down Under
9961312103_dfda4952ee.jpg

9961246346_82b1c44cff.jpg

9961252396_fd44649eb5.jpg

9961199295_70f48932dd.jpg

Fresh caulk line at the body seam-Land Down Under
9961234414_7af41311fa.jpg

The part I've already done...bonus view; spider webs
9961336343_810425aa6a.jpg

More Down Under
9961213335_846c45f3d4.jpg

9961247724_68044ca4e6.jpg

This totally sucks......
9961286076_d861bb5776.jpg

Crossmember
9829806344_7323fb068e.jpg

Rusty Pumpkin
9961257034_589874f1e8.jpg

Nice job cleaning up underneath. It is a nasty job laying under there. A good bit of my undercoat was still adhered good, so I did not do 100%. Just enough to get rid of any rust that was starting. It is a great, motivating feeling having that out of the way. Like- "this thing is actually worth puting parts on now". I hope if I ever do another build, I am in a position to go rotiserie and blast everything.

PS. I only read a few entries here, but great stuff! I'll be back for the rest of it some cold day this winter. As for now, it is nice out and my car is calling...

Nice job cleaning up underneath. It is a nasty job laying under there.

Tell me about it....:protest:

A good bit of my undercoat was still adhered good, so I did not do 100%. Just enough to get rid of any rust that was starting.

I'm doing the same thing. The original undercoating...where it is....is sound as hard as a rock with clean paint. No reason to peel it off. I intend to undercoat everything after the primer and paint.

It is a great, motivating feeling having that out of the way. Like- "this thing is actually worth puting parts on now". I hope if I ever do another build, I am in a position to go rotiserie and blast everything.

I will never, NEVER do another car in this fashion...too old for it as it is! Hopefully this will be my last car resto and all the rest will be playing.

PS. I only read a few entries here, but great stuff! I'll be back for the rest of it some cold day this winter. As for now, it is nice out and my car is calling...

LOL! Better pack a lunch, brother...it's a long, long read!:happy1:

Back in black I hit the sack//I been too long I'm glad to be back//Yes I am
Let loose from the noose//That's kept me hanging about
I keep looking at the sky 'cause it's gettin' me high//Forget the hearse cause I'll never die
I got nine lives cat's eyes//Using every one of them and runnin' wild
Cause I'm back, Yes I'm back; well I'm back..Yes I'm back
Well I'm back back//Well I'm back in black
Yes, I'm back in black!
AC/DC Back In Black "Back In Black"

1972. The war in Vie217;st Nam rages on. Eleven Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games in Munich are killed after eight members of an Arab terrorist group invade Olympic Village. Governor George C. Wallace of Alabama is shot by Arthur H. Bremer at a Laurel, Md., political rally. Five men are apprehended by police in attempt to bug Democratic National Committee headquarters in Washington, D.C.'s Watergate complex; the beginning of the now-infamous Watergate scandal. Dallas defeats Miami in the Super Bowl, the Oakland A's beat out Cincinnati in the World Series, Boston takes the Stanley Cup, and Carole King takes Album of the Year, (Tapestry) Record of the Year (It's Too Late) and Song of the Year (You've Got A Friend).
And in Hamtramck, Michigan, a 1972 year model Plymouth Duster rolls off the assembly line fitted with a 340 four speed, 3.91 Sure Grip and black interior with high-back buckets, cloaked in a light silvery-blue metallic known as Gunmetal or Winchester Gray.

For the first time since 1972, the underside of The Duke is cloaked in a single color not involving Iron Oxide Red, a.k.a. Rust. I, for one, believe there is a direct link between the color of rust and the popular conception of the devil. Both are Hell to deal with.
To say that I'm thrilled and elated to have what I consider to be the worst job, ever! out of the way would be an understatement. Oh, I'm not out of the woods yet, Roscoe. I still have to brush on a seal-coat of oil-based Rust-Oleum and then top it off with some sort of undercoating, but the days of rolling around on my back on a creeper eating, breathing and smelling the Red Death are done and behind me.
So, then, The Duke is back. And he's Back in Black.
And I couldn't be more thrilled!

BEFORE:
9961213335_846c45f3d4.jpg

AFTER:
10048777895_1240076e99.jpg

BEFORE:
9961199295_70f48932dd.jpg

AFTER:
10048909923_f2890211b9.jpg

AND A FEW MORE FOR GOOD MEASURE:
10048732744_807a719ac9.jpg

10048770695_542ac05a82.jpg

10048791075_7ef178950c.jpg

10048913483_7c5f324a2d.jpg

10048804055_e52deed960.jpg

Last edited:
Captain,
do you remember when I was going through this and I said I would gladly write a check to get this done and skip all the fun time with a wire brush?

Looking good!
You know from my story what MY feelings are about writing a check.....
Poseurs!!!!!
Keep on keepin' on with that wire wheel, my bother!
Any dim bulb can scribble his name on a check and buy a muscle car.
Cars like ours are labors of love....which is why they look so good and run so well.

Are we feeling the love yet? :cheers:
Looks great by the way.
Andrew

Captain,
do you remember when I was going through this and I said I would gladly write a check to get this done and skip all the fun time with a wire brush?

Are we feeling the love yet? :cheers:
Looks great by the way.
Andrew

I remember it distinctly, Andrew. Your project is one of the ones I follow that has given me encouragement and kept the ashes warm in my down-time.
Thanks, brother!:notworth:

The underside looks great.
I can actually taste the rust-dust from here, been there before.

Now start bolting shiny stuff back on it........

-
Back