Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Last night I was still coming down off the high of making the underside of The Duke all one color (besides rust-orange) and patting myself on the back. I peeled back the tarp and opened the trunk...my trunk full of junk. Now, when I say 'junk', I mean "stuff that I don't know where to put it." F'rinstance; shark-tooth grille, alternator, distributor and associated cap, wires, coil etc. wiper motor, exhaust bullet tips.....the list goes on. Let's just say there was a bunch of stuff in there, OK? But, I knew there was also some other Junk in the Trunk.....a bunch of surface rust that would need to be attended to. And since I was sort of waiting for the rust reformer to cure in The Land Down Under, well....why not, right?
I began bailing like a sailor on a sinking ship, and soon there was a Rather Large Pile on the floor where my Nighthawk usually sits.....
Oh....****. This rust is, well......not good. A quick hoovering with the Shop Vac shows more 'not good'. There is a LOT of rust here, and it's pretty severe. For a moment, I feel the wind go out of my sails and once again, the magnitude of what I've undertaken sort of overwhelms me. I stare at the scraper on the floor like it was a snake, unwilling to grab it and see what we have here.....
YOU Valance. YOU pick it up.
I pick it up and begin scraping.
The first thing I notice is that much of the color on the floor comes raining off in sheets, leaving me with a bed of flaky red rust:
10063577336_9efde4ecdc.jpg

The next thing I notice is that the rust appears to go under the wide, thick caulk lines sealing the panel seams:
10063542365_1e397b1192.jpg

Especially in the spare tire well, where they've laid a thick layer of seam sealer/caulk....:
10063525064_8e4e017c1f.jpg

.......and extending up into the hump area:
10063602116_3e3480e6c1.jpg

Well, at least the deck lid looks fairly nice.
10063536264_956f6609d9.jpg

My worst fears are realized, however, when I gingerly peel up some of the caulk. Yep, the rust has crept completely underneath and there is no point in denying it. I begin the arduous task of peeling it up. Stubborn stuff, despite the rust...it really would rather stay put, but I didn't come this far to be snubbed. Up Yours, Rust.
10063670243_63b6f26baf.jpg

You can see even the nice caulk lines are hiding rust underneath:
10063575505_e87934bb3f.jpg

(That last shot is not showing a rust hole, but rather an area where the seam caulk is completely peeled out.)
And so, the journey continues. I guess I'd better pack a lunch....(sigh):wack:

Well, the news is not ALL bad! I peeled the caulk strip off the right side of the trunk and found clean metal underneath. So it's not a total loss. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the rest of the trunk.....
10079099555_3533d1f86a.jpg

So after another marathon session extending way past midnight last night, I made far more progress on the trunk than I thought possible. I'm quite sure the neighbors were vacillating between calling the cops, or calling Belleview, and it probably worked in my favor that they couldn't make their mind before I shut 'er down for the night. I had hoped at best to get maybe half the rust attacked. Instead, I ended up peeling both sides of caulking and getting down to the nitty-gritty in the entire trunk area, removing both taillights and associated wiring from the trunk area, and getting the rusty areas ready for caulk and Rust Reformer. For part of this operation, I ended up climbing up on a stepladder and climbing into the trunk like a mafia stiff. I ran out of moxie sometime after midnight, and having no more Rust Reformer or caulk, decided to call it a night, well-pleased and heartened by the unexpected progress I'd made. What was it that Lone Watie said in "The Outlaw Josie Wales"? Oh yeah......"Endeavor to persevere". Yeah, that.

The work looks great Captain, and your words smooth as silk.........

Last night I was still coming down off the high of making the underside of The Duke all one color (besides rust-orange) and patting myself on the back. I peeled back the tarp and opened the trunk...my trunk full of junk. Now, when I say 'junk', I mean "stuff that I don't know where to put it." F'rinstance; shark-tooth grille, alternator, distributor and associated cap, wires, coil etc. wiper motor, exhaust bullet tips.....the list goes on. Let's just say there was a bunch of stuff in there, OK? But, I knew there was also some other Junk in the Trunk.....a bunch of surface rust that would need to be attended to. And since I was sort of waiting for the rust reformer to cure in The Land Down Under, well....why not, right?
I began bailing like a sailor on a sinking ship, and soon there was a Rather Large Pile on the floor where my Nighthawk usually sits.....
Oh....****. This rust is, well......not good. A quick hoovering with the Shop Vac shows more 'not good'. There is a LOT of rust here, and it's pretty severe. For a moment, I feel the wind go out of my sails and once again, the magnitude of what I've undertaken sort of overwhelms me. I stare at the scraper on the floor like it was a snake, unwilling to grab it and see what we have here.....
YOU Valance. YOU pick it up.
I pick it up and begin scraping.
The first thing I notice is that much of the color on the floor comes raining off in sheets, leaving me with a bed of flaky red rust:
10063577336_9efde4ecdc.jpg

The next thing I notice is that the rust appears to go under the wide, thick caulk lines sealing the panel seams:
10063542365_1e397b1192.jpg

Especially in the spare tire well, where they've laid a thick layer of seam sealer/caulk....:
10063525064_8e4e017c1f.jpg

.......and extending up into the hump area:

Well, at least the deck lid looks fairly nice.
10063536264_956f6609d9.jpg

My worst fears are realized, however, when I gingerly peel up some of the caulk. Yep, the rust has crept completely underneath and there is no point in denying it. I begin the arduous task of peeling it up. Stubborn stuff, despite the rust...it really would rather stay put, but I didn't come this far to be snubbed. Up Yours, Rust.
10063670243_63b6f26baf.jpg

You can see even the nice caulk lines are hiding rust underneath:
10063575505_e87934bb3f.jpg

(That last shot is not showing a rust hole, but rather an area where the seam caulk is completely peeled out.)
And so, the journey continues. I guess I'd better pack a lunch....(sigh):wack:

:coffee: Packing a lunch and taking a journey . . . isn't that a picnic?? lol . . . great progress Capt . . .

Are you using heat to soften the caulk? A propane torch works wonders.
Keep up the good work and keep the fire burning :)

:coffee: Packing a lunch and taking a journey . . . isn't that a picnic?? lol . . . great progress Capt . . .

More like a night parachute drop into enemy territory, if you ask me.

Last edited:
:coffee2: lmbo! You are having a great time . . . . a great time . . . a GREAT TIME . . . . :hello1:

Best part of the whole rebuild experience.

I need to learn to quit looking behind doors that are shut (sigh). I kept looking at those lines of caulk and wondering what (possibly) might lurk underneath. Curiosity got the best of me, and I had to look.:banghead:

10173534283_836753b823.jpg

10173539143_b1f54f8a28.jpg

10173416915_e3922e655c.jpg

10173314864_bcd19fa554.jpg

Oh, well. Better to find out now than later. I wonder how many tubes of caulk I'll need to replace this..........:violent1:

Can't u mug weld them shut and then grind it smooth

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

Nah....got 'em all stripped and wire-wheeled tonight with a coat of Rust Reform School on the bare/rusty metal. I'll run more of the urethane caulk like I did on the interior and then do Rust-Oleum brush-on over it, then undercoat everything. And of course, to be 'MC' (that's 'Mopar-Correct' for those of you wondering) :D I'll shoot color over the undercoating like the factory did. It won't be 'concours correct', but ask me if I give a ****...(since you asked; NO!) I'll let the next owner piss his pants over that. I won't care because I'll be dead.
There's some pretty deep pitting in the metal anyway, so making it look factory is pretty much out of the question. It will be Winchester Gray, and that's all I care about.

Last edited:
Here's the last few weeks in FFW.......

Holy Mouse Turds, Batman!
9715803562_ac7742208e.jpg

9715790316_bdd7ccc34a.jpg

9712387061_c063639358.jpg

9786634524_83ce89aac0.jpg

Who knows what's hiding behind these walls?
9785146976_328a780832.jpg

9810993074_77d85d3465.jpg

So you come from the land down under?
9961199295_70f48932dd.jpg

Back in Black
10048732744_807a719ac9.jpg

Junk in the Trunk

10200493266_84506f2089.jpg

Well, kids.....it's been quite a week all in all. First, discovering the rust in the trunk. Then discovering the rust under the caulk. Then wrestling with the decision on whether to try to only remove the bad sections of caulk and replace to avoid removing ALL the caulk. But I listened first to the voice of reason, then to the Voice of The Duke who told me in no uncertain terms that he didn't give a rat's *** if I liked it or not.......there's only one way to do things, and that's The Right Way. He posed this question of me; "Cappy, do you want a Fast Car, or a Half-Fast car?"
Ouch. Touche.....
And so, like it or not, every inch of caulk came out....that is, with the exception of the two 'Everlasting Gobstoppers' in each far corner of the rear valance panel....big as a freakin' golf ball and no rust any where near them. I might've been born at night, but it wasn't last night.
I was hyped tonight. I had two brand-new tubes of polyurethane caulk; enough to do all the seams, and then some! I began by using up what was left of the first tube I had bought for the interior and underside. Then I slapped a new cartridge in the caulk gun, snipped the end off and poked the foil barrier at the end and started 'shooting'.
For some reason, I was doing a hell of a lot of trigger action, but nothing was happening.
Finally, a bit of caulk oozed it's way out of the nozzle. I dabbed a bit on my finger, and......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Tacky. Semi-hard. And Not Happening.
I think, right then and there, I said enough curse words to make a stevedore blush.
Well, screw this. I've got another tube. I drop it in like Rambo slamming a magazine home, snip and poke, and the caulk is flowing. I get about halfway through, laying some decent lines that I flatten out with the plastic putty knife I bought just for this purpose, and then watch in amazement as the side of the tube unzips itself like freakin' Poppin' Fresh dough......ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING ME?
It wasn't.
What to do...what to do? I watch in disbelief as the dough comes curling out the side of the cartridge with every squeeze of the trigger. I have the receipt, but the store is closed now. And then The Duke pipes in....
Well, Cappy, ya gonna let a little bad luck ruin your card game?
"Don't call me Cappy. And just what would you do, Duke?" This last with almost a bit of a sneer......
Cappy, if I was a jackass I'd do just what you're doing...nothing. If it was me, I'd squeeze that stuff right out the side and spread it like peanut butter with that knife. But that's just me.
I hadn't thought of that.
I squeezed...Poppin' Fresh giggled.."Woo Hoo!"......and dough squirted out the split side. I scooped up a big dollop and spread it out on the seams. Well, it won't win any awards for beauty, but by golly, it was working. Besides, it would be painted over and then undercoated before seeing paint.
"I'll be damned....you know Duke, this might just work!"
I was answered by Foreigner belting out "Blue Morning". There was nobody else in the garage.
"Thanks Duke. Once again, you saved my bacon, Big Guy."
In the end, I was short. I left the rear valance for tomorrow, after I run back to Ace with my set-up tube of caulk and receipt and tell them where, exactly, they can put it. Valance....that's a funny word.
YOU Valance....YOU pick it up.:D

Last edited:
.....my lofty goals for having a roller by spring (June?) might just work out. Sorta depends on what I get done over the winter with the rear end and front K-frame and suspension bits. Speaking of rear ends, I'm finding the results of my little poll interesting:

Poll-which rear end?

So far, the results overwhelmingly show the majority in favor of just dropping the 3.91 out of the Li'l Red Minx in as-is. Now, I'm guessing more than a few poll-takers haven't read this resto thread and know the history of that rear end, telephone-pole smooching incident and all.....but regardless, they mostly seem to feel the 3.91 would be the weapon of choice.
Now way back when, I tol' you that there was something 'different' about The Duke. Maybe this had something to do with it? I always assumed Duke had a 3.91 but we all know about assumptions and this is no exception. The Minx, on the other hand, was an explosive little red warhead and I'm thinking this may have had something to do with it? :D Anyway, the jury is still out on the diff & gearing....I never do snap-judgements if I can help it......but just thought I would throw that out there as that bridge will have to be crossed prior to having a roller.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
:coffee2: Love that movie, Lee Marvin and Lee Van Cleef were great with The Duke and Jimmy Stewart. That 3.91 will definitely move you along a little better on the low end. Depends what you are looking to use the Duke for and how much. If you are going to cruise a lot, park a lot, or go to the strip.:burnout:

Keep at it! Rog

:coffee2: Love that movie, Lee Marvin and Lee Van Cleef were great with The Duke and Jimmy Stewart. That 3.91 will definitely move you along a little better on the low end. Depends what you are looking to use the Duke for and how much. If you are going to cruise a lot, park a lot, or go to the strip.:burnout:

Keep at it! Rog

Funny thing, Rog.....It's been so long that I really don't know any more!:-?

Funny thing, Rog.....It's been so long that I really don't know any more!:-?
The condition you are experiencing is called "old". If you plan to cruise a lot, the 3.91 will drink the ga$ . . . better with 3.23 ish. I know, I have a 3.91. It's your car . . . whatever floats yer boat. Rog

The condition you are experiencing is called "old".
What condition? Who are you people? Where are we going, and why are we in this handbasket?

If you plan to cruise a lot, the 3.91 will drink the ga$ . . . better with 3.23 ish. I know, I have a 3.91. It's your car . . . whatever floats yer boat. Rog
Yeah, I know..that's the problem. I'm vaccilating between all-around and 'kick-***'. And we know what sorta guy The Duke was.

Last edited:
Remember the old jingle...."Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man"? This, of course, in the day when it was PC to assume that hardware men were men, and the only thing most women were there to pick up was a husband, and certainly not to work there?
Yeah, me too.
Anyway, I trundled up my rock-hard tube of caulk, receipt, and even the Poppin' Fresh exploding cartridge to show a manager, and proceeded to do just that. I was a little surprised when I got not only no argument or cheesy excuses, but TWO tubes of caulk (I was only expecting the one) and an apology thrown in on top of it! All the more reason to support your local business, and suck it up and not get petty and bitchy over spending a buck more than you see the stuff sale-priced at the Big Box Stores. Tonight I finished laying out my little white highways on the valance (there's that word again!) and touched up some of the work from the other night when I ran short. Now, like I said, I'm not gonna win any prizes for neatness, originality, or concours resto look, but I'm not trying to. I'm trying to make this car as sound as I can, so I can drive it without worrying about The Masque of the Red Death (rust) any more.....please!I've inhaled enough iron oxide to set off a metal detector in an airport security screening area. If I never see another wire wheel it will be too soon.
And so, we trudge on. This morning showed the first frost of autumn and I know I have to keep the nose to the grindstone, shoulder to the wheel. And so I feel a bit of frustration sitting here typing when I could be out watching the caulk dry.....but it's one thing, one day at a time. And hopefully, finish laying the Rust-Oleum and undercoat before Ol' Man Winter shows up.

I've opted for 4:10s and an 833 OD. Life is too short for 3.23s.

It's not a handbasket its a top.
Have you noticed how time just keeps accelerating?
Someone is spinning the top faster and faster.

-
Back