Capturing a piece of early 70s Trans Am mojo...what can be done?

-
very sanitary

P7146106.jpg
P7146103.jpg

Sup with the mudflaps? You goin offroadin?lol

Lol I put those on years ago because I thought they look cool and they ended up being highly practical. I've considered taking them off but I actually still like how they look and in Colorado I drive it year-round, they keep gravel, dirt, snow etc from building up in the rear quarters and rusting them out. If you look closely in the pic the rear quarter on the passenger side already has some rust and a couple holes and was hit at some point before I got the car. I need to put mud flaps on the front for the same reasons but haven't gotten around to it.

It's kinda funny too actually I used to take it off-road occasionally when I first got it as the town I was living in at the time was right at the foot of the mountains. That was before I lowered it and started modifying the suspension and was still running 14" wheels with fat-sidewall tires. Made sense why older American cars sat higher off the ground than newer cars, less paved roads back then.

LOL... well said.

Honestly, I get it. The "beak" would not have been my first choice but back when I was 17 years old in the mid 1990s, I almost passed out when I found this Dart. The thought "ugly" never crossed my mind! In the years since, it has grown on me and I quite like it. Is it a styling masterpiece? No...but regardless, it's my car. I wouldn't trade it for a pristine Hemi Superbird. No joke.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one on the forum who feels that way about their Mopar.

Feel similar about my 68 Notchback. I was just looking for a Mopar to replace my Little Old Lady from Santa Monica 67 Chevy II 2dr post six cly car.

In 1993, I was just looking for a V-8 Mopar with good drivetrain. This notchback popped up with bent left bumper, grille and fender. Would rather had a fastback, or 70-71 Duster/Demon, or Dart without the Funky rear window treatment.

But it had in 8 3/4 sure grip, 340, hipo manifolds, bucket seats, 727, and original to the car to boot. I figured the cost of those hard parts to add to another 318 made it worth the $1800 entry price.

Last edited:
Very cool car. When you talk about weight savings, I'm curious about setting up a rear for a build like yours.

Not a trans am car and not an A-Body, but I would love to build a Petty tribute car with an R5P7. I would drive that thing everywhere

Screenshot_20220426-095320_DuckDuckGo.jpg

A company called Spoilers By Randy makes front spoilers in steel for many different models, not sure about Dusrersand Dart Sports. Bobby

-
Back