CAR COVERS ?

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
The garage that my 67 barracuda is in isnt sealed very tight also half of the garage has a dirt floor. The other half has a cement floor were the cuda is stored. Things get really duster over time. I am looking for car cover that will help keep the dust off.

I have seen covers that you drive on then basically incase the car in

Is it humid where you are?

That might present a challenge

I just got a cover for my 72 dart. Got it from Icarcover.com.It is a lot heavier the budge cover i used before.It also. has a zipper. at the drivers door

I have wondered what to do with my runners once they graduate to outside under the gravel carport. The projects are taking up the concrete shop space so I'm thinking its best to lay more crete.

I have a 69 Barracuda FB that is always garage kept. I also wanted a cover strictly to protect it from dust while in the garage. After a lot of research, I went with a Covercraft cover. They have one that is made specifically for dust protection. It is not one of those super lightweight nylon-like covers, it is a medium weight cover made with a material that looks similar to the heavier outdoor type covers. It is about 4-5 years old. It does an AMAZING job of keeping dust off of my car. At the time I bought it, they had a custom fit cover for the 67-69 FB. That is what I bought. They may have added coupes and convertibles since. Give them a call. This is the best cover I have ever used. They have a 60% off sale going on now.

The other option is enclosed trailer storage. I’ve done that for years. I even throw a tarp over the top of the trailer for added protection from water and snow. A bit extreme but it works cheaper than another garage.
Syleng1

I put an old rug down on the floor to prevent moisture seeping up and my floor is concrete. If you have any oil leaks cardboard absorbs them on the rug.

I put a car cover made for the vehicle one year on my wifes CJ-5, that sat outside.
I now owe the wife a paint job, it destroyed the nice shiny paint on her Jeep.
Maybe this winters project is to re-paint her toy.

They do make lightweight car covers specifically to keep the dust off garaged cars. I recommend the custom fit ones which stay on better and are less bulky when removed.

As for the last comment, you really cannot keep a car cover on a car stored outside year round. If you leave a wet cover on a car, it will ruin the paint, as noted. Even a "waterproof" cover will allow moisture to condense on the car under the cover, promoting rust. The cover is fine to protect against sun, leaves, dust and bird droppings, but the car is better off uncovered in rain and even snow. One partial solution is to erect a cheap driveway canopy (about $120 from Harbor Freight) and use a water-resistant car cover underneath it. That way it doesn't get soaked.

As for the last comment, you really cannot keep a car cover on a car stored outside year round. If you leave a wet cover on a car, it will ruin the paint, as noted.

totally not true. just have to have the proper cover. used to keep three of our darts covered year round trough rain, ice and snow, and the paint was never damaged. the covers breathe and allow the car to dry if it gets wet enough to bleed through the covert. all three were cal car covers that i called and told them how the car would be stored and they suggested the cover to use.

It stays dry in my garage. It has a 7ft ceiling. Its not heated but ive never seen it get below 40. Ill have to call covercraft & calcover to see who has what. Thanks for all the info

They do make lightweight car covers specifically to keep the dust off garaged cars. I recommend the custom fit ones which stay on better and are less bulky when removed.

As for the last comment, you really cannot keep a car cover on a car stored outside year round. If you leave a wet cover on a car, it will ruin the paint, as noted. Even a "waterproof" cover will allow moisture to condense on the car under the cover, promoting rust. The cover is fine to protect against sun, leaves, dust and bird droppings, but the car is better off uncovered in rain and even snow. One partial solution is to erect a cheap driveway canopy (about $120 from Harbor Freight) and use a water-resistant car cover underneath it. That way it doesn't get soaked.
I don't like to hit the red X. But I do disagree with the statement that "you really cannot keep a car cover on a car stored outside year-round". I have been covering cars outside for years. I never had a problem with paint or anything else. The All Weather cover protected them nicely. I only buy high quality covers.

Last edited:
call http://www.calcarcover.com/ tell them how its being stored and they will set you up with the right cover.
Covercraft makes most of their covers. Cali resells them. Covercraft is cheaper
They will both also as well as recomend send free samples. Covers var by location of use and inside outside. FYI I bought from both companies.
They both have outlet stores as well.

-
Back