Car dead

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I was chasing an issue no start nothing when i hit the key. jacked it up to check the NSS hit the key started. Died on me went to restart and the whole car dead. Ive got nothing now. Fuel pump is electric and key buzzer dead too. I have 12v up from battery to starter solenoid. Im really not good at this electrical stuff but where might I start to chase the power?

Ive got 12v though the firewall so the fused like is good. From there IIRC it runs to the amp meter right? How might I check that?

As said ive got power though the fire wall and the red wire runs to amp meter then back out the black to the alternator no power at altenator

i know of one ground at the column down where the column bolts to the dash frame. Also the only fused link i know of is the one on the engine compartment side of firewall it seems to be ok as i have power through it.

As said ive got power though the fire wall and the red wire runs to amp meter then back out the black to the alternator no power at altenator

You lost me.

You have power AT the ammeter on both posts?

Then you should have something "in the car" headlights, etc

Reach up and wiggle the ammeter connections with the headlight switch on. Any difference?

Make sure the red ammeter wire does not go dead with lights turned on. If so this might indicate a fail right in the red wire at the bulkhead connector or the fuse link.

The circuit path is starter relay..............fuse link..........(red) bulkhead.......... (red) ammeter..........black ammeter ............TO THE WELDED SPLICE in the black ammeter...............to the (black) bulkhead..........to the alternator

WELDED SPLICE branches off and feeds

fuse panel "hot" buss

headlight switch power for headlights only (not tail or dash)

power into ignition switch

Ok i was trying to check voltage on the amp meter and i got my power back. battery is fine, starter is fine but wont crank with the key. I get nothing. But fuel pump and key buzzer back

Sounds to me like you have a loose / bad connection. Getting in there and wiggling / testing may be throwing you off, so wiggle things while you check

This is why, EG, I told you to leave the lights on

Pick something that "you think" had intermitently quit, like the radio or heater, something you can hear or see. Turn that on, and test by wiggling the bulkhead connector, the ignition switch connector, and other random parts of the harness up under the dash.

The thing is, you may also have multiple problems and "it sounds like" the bulkhead connector.

No lights on the car yet just rear ones i cant see while under the dash. All problems have been solvedf for now thanks for the help guys. I had voltage everywhere i needed it just not connecting

Posted via Topify on Android

-
Back