Car died and now won’t turn over

-

Mopar204

Reaction score
1971 demon started sputtering the other day like it was running out of fuel, then died. When I went to start it I couldnt even get the starter to turn over. Tried boosting it and nothing. Jumped the starter and it works. Checked the NSS and that is working good. Not too sure where else to look. Could it possibly be the ignition switch itself?

Yes but don't "jump" and start throwing parts.........test it!!!

Could be starter relay........as you very likely jumpered the two big terminals, which takes it out of the circuit

Start by finding the NSS wire, which is usually dark brown or at least "not yellow" attached to one of the two "push on" terminals of the starter relay. Jumper that relay terminal to ground and try the key. BE CAREFUL it is out of gear!!!

If that does nothing, put a test lamp or multimeter on the remaining yellow wire, and twist the key, you should get voltage. If not, could be the bulkhead connector terminals, and the connector right at the ignition switch.

Download shop manuals and diagrams FREE from MyMopar. No, I don't work there. Some of those there came from the guys right here

The "functional" relay coil path is........

Ignition switch "start wire"...........through the bulkhead terminal..........to the starter relay one of two "push on" terminals.........down to the neutral safety switch (center pin)............grounded in P or N............and the relay should click.

Relay CONTACTS could be bad, IE relay could click but no start

-
Back