Car dies 5 minutes after it starts... No spark!

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Well... I got my car running, and it's pretty cool for 5 minutes. Then it dies.
After I let it sit for awhile it will start again, and then dies 5 minutes later.
I replaced the ballast resistor, and coil. It still died on me, so I checked for spark. There is spark coming from the coil, so that is good. There seems to be no spark coming from the plugs. Is there something inside the distributor the would heat up and short out?
The only other thing I did was change the bulbs in the dash. Is there possibly a ground wire of some sort that I unplugged?

This is a electronic distributor I bought from Autozone not even a year ago for $45.00. Nothing fancy.

Any ideas?? Thanks Much!!!

Can you replace the pick up, or would I need the whole new distributor ? I guess it was only $45.00. Are these Autozone ones bad? I'm sure it's just a rebuilt stock one.

Can you replace the pick up, or would I need the whole new distributor ? I guess it was only $45.00. Are these Autozone ones bad? I'm sure it's just a rebuilt stock one.

you can replace the pick up.. last one i bought was like $10 or something.

My truck 85 model did this and I changed out my ecu "electronic ignition box" like scooy439 said 8)

I still have the stock 5 pin 1973 /6 ECU, so I guess that could be it. That would act the same way? I just hate to keep spending this money and not know what it is. It's like chasing your own tail.

I wonder if Autozone has a Orange box? If I buy one online over this weekend it probably wont ship till next week! :sad1:

I did see Autozone does have a cheap ECU for $20.00. It's not a Orange box, but for $20.00, at least that might help me figure out what the problem is.

I still have the stock 5 pin 1973 /6 ECU, so I guess that could be it. That would act the same way? I just hate to keep spending this money and not know what it is. It's like chasing your own tail.

I wonder if Autozone has a Orange box? If I buy one online over this weekend it probably wont ship till next week! :sad1:

took mine to advance and they plugged a machine into the ecu and it tested bad. no charge

Never buy a remanufactured anything from a parts store. They are junk and will keep you chasing your tail for the remainder of the time you have these parts on your car. Especially Auto Zone. Napa has higher quality stuff for the most part and if you can get away with it, skip Auto Zone and go to Napa.

The cheapest (and I think best) way to get your electronic ignition going is by listening to the instructions in this thread.

http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15779

The HEI unit will cost you a little over $20 and you'll be set for a while, even with your stock coil.

If it doesn't work and it turns out to be something else, just return it.

yup it sounds like your ignition box is taking a dump like others said. call around your local auto stores and see who has the tester, bring it to them but have them run the test a few times if on the first shot it tests ok. running it through the test a few times will warm it up a bit since your problem is when it heats up.

could there be something getting sucked in to the pickup in the gas tank.
when the car dies it sinks back to the bottom.

could there be something getting sucked in to the pickup in the gas tank.
when the car dies it sinks back to the bottom.

Sure can. That's why i asked if you are sure it's a spark problem.

Friend had a dart years ago that would run great a few miles. Then shut off and wouldn't start unless ya let it sit. Ended up being crap in the tank would clogg the sock on the pick up when running. When it sat it would unclogg enough to run a few miles. We cleaned out the tank and put a new sock on it and all was fine.

Well... I take off the spark plug wire, and put a spark plug in the boot. When I turn it over... no spark in the spark plug gap... Unless of course I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'll just stick my finger in the wire to make sure :)

I can see it is getting gas into the carb. Should fuel pressure hold when the engine is not running??

can you check the Pick up with a ohm meter? Does anyone know how or what it should read?

Isn't the plug supposed to be grounded to fire?
I don't think you'll try the finger trick but once but
let me know how it turns out

This thing is just plain being weird! I got it running long enough to finally get the car warmed up, and get the timing set then... poof! a single backfire and it was toast again for a few hours. However now it seems to start when I turn the ignition on, and off. Then it's dead in between. This is a new ballast resistor too. I'm glad they are cheap.
It just sucks because it seems I got it running pretty good, but I cant drive the thing anywhere! URGH!! I'm getting a new pick up coil tomorrow. after that I'm done with ideas. Other then maybe a ground somewhere? I did take off the steering wheel. Is it possible I pinched a wire? IDK?

My old Ramcharger did that when I first got it. Drove the previous owner nuts so he sold it to me for 100 bucks. Changed the ECU with the cheap autozone unit and it was fixed. I'd try it. If it doesn't work you can always return it.

-
Back