car dies when it gets warm

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an electrical issue that just started happening. It's a 318 in a 73 Swinger with stock electronic ignition. It's the 5 pin ecu and 4 post ballast resistor.
The car starts up great when it's cold. After about 15 minutes of running the car just dies. When I try to start it back up, it doesn't get any spark. If I let the car sit for 5-6 hours it will start right back up.
All these problems seemed to start after I changed my distributor, thinking the distributor was the problem I put the old one back in and I still have the same problem.
I've changed the ballast resistor, swapped ecu's and have tried a different coil. I believe my wires are good, I put in an Evans engine harness a few months back.
Any ideas? I just bought a multi-meter, what should I test?

The ecu probably is the problem. One other thing to check. If you have a white harness connector near the back of the right valve cover, seperate it and look for melting. A short circuit in there will cause this problem.

mines a 340 dart sport,
if your car dies after running a bit, maybe, just maybe you have the same issue i had a while back. i had installed a new distributor and got the same issue, after putting a simple ground wire from the body of the distributor to the block and a new ground wire from the block to the frame it works great, try it. took me ages to figure it out.

I figured out the problem. It was the pick up coil in the new distributor.
Thanks for the replies.

-
Back