Car Dolly question.

-

Scampin

Reaction score
In about a week I am heading off to Maine for a vacation. Going to go camping. Was going to rent a car dolly from u-haul and tow a car out there so I didnt have to try to navigate my 3500 dually quad cab, long bed Ram through the little towns. Since the Barracuda is alive and well, I was thinking of taking that. It is a 4spd with a 8 3/4 3.23 posi.

Which way should I load it? Will it hurt anything if the driveshaft spins? Should I load it with the *** up? Should I pull the driveshaft? If I pull the driveshaft, is one of those plastic plugs going to hold the fluid in? Never done any dolly towing before.

In about a week I am heading off to Maine for a vacation. Going to go camping. Was going to rent a car dolly from u-haul and tow a car out there so I didnt have to try to navigate my 3500 dually quad cab, long bed Ram through the little towns. Since the Barracuda is alive and well, I was thinking of taking that. It is a 4spd with a 8 3/4 3.23 posi.

Which way should I load it? Will it hurt anything if the driveshaft spins? Should I load it with the *** up? Should I pull the driveshaft? If I pull the driveshaft, is one of those plastic plugs going to hold the fluid in? Never done any dolly towing before.

I've always either removed the driveshaft or towed with the drive wheels up on the dolly. Have you looked into renting a full car trailer from u haul? it's only 20 bucks more a day....and aluminum.

You do NOT want to tow it very far with the shaft turning. I used to know where to find this, have lost track.

I've always either removed the driveshaft or towed with the drive wheels up on the dolly. Have you looked into renting a full car trailer from u haul? it's only 20 bucks more a day....and aluminum.

X2 way easier - your on vacation, don't make things difficult ?

It's only $10 more for the full trailer vs the dolly. I just returned a dolly....

I have a car trailer. The campsite I rented doesnt have room for the trailer and truck. Was okayed for a dolly. Was thinking just driving two cars would be cheaper, but the g/f does not want to drive. Thus, the dolly.

Pull drive shaft. Not that hard people. Four bolts at the rear. Tape the universal joint on the shaft and you are ready to tow.Also put a set of cheap tires on the rear. No point in putting mileage on good street tires or slicks. Have fun camping.

I have a car trailer. The campsite I rented doesnt have room for the trailer and truck. Was okayed for a dolly.

That doesn't make much sense but...whatever.

If you do go with a dolly, I have had several people tell me you CANNOT back up with a car on a dolly. It just ain't gonna happen.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through all this. Have you considered renting a car when you get to your destination? Less work and less chance of messing up your cuda.

Brought my Dart home on a U-Haul car trailer 6 weeks ago- $56/day. Maybe less by the week. The left fender dropped so the drivers door could be opened. Towed well by my little 2013 Silverado 4WD. The "Kid" didn't get the ball all the way down on the hitch and when I was loading the Dart, the front of the trailer went up in the air Pissed, to say the least. I drove 70 miles with the trailer with no car on it. Coulda ruined my and someone elses day.

Have used a dolly to tow Saabs and yes, they are almost impossible to back up more than a couple of feet. Two pivot points- the ball on the hitch and a swivel platform for the wheels on the dolly. Yeah, pull the shaft if you use a dolly. Good Luck towing! What campground in Maine? I'm in NH a go up there a lot. Great State!

That doesn't make much sense but...whatever.

If you do go with a dolly, I have had several people tell me you CANNOT back up with a car on a dolly. It just ain't gonna happen.

Seems like a lot of trouble to go through all this. Have you considered renting a car when you get to your destination? Less work and less chance of messing up your cuda.

The trailer I have is a 24ft enclosed. With the truck, camper extension hitch, and trailer it is 54ft long. The dolly I can dettach and roll wherever.
I could rent a car, I get pretty good deals through work, but who wants to drive a new car over an old 4spd musclecar with sidepipes?:wack:

So I will pull the 4 bolts off the rear, tape the joint, and strap the driveshaft up and out of the way, if there is room. Thanks guys.

I do not like dollies a pain to back up, plus if you turn to sharp the fenders on the dolly will hit the side of the car and dent the car, just not worth the hassle with a dolly.
good luck if you take the dolly way!

Why bother pulling the driveshaft if the car is a 4 speed?

Counter gear won't spin, so the top shaft won't get any oil like it does when the engine is running it.
It'll dry up and fry the upper bearings and friction surfaces between the gears and shaft.

Would not use a tow dolly

Friend had the transmission go out of his really nice Torino, they rented a dolly and went after it. Got into the door with the fender.

If you pull the driveshaft would need to put a plug in the tail shaft.

Have never heard of anyone flat towing having issue pulling a stick. They do it all the time behind motor homes.

I would rent another sight and take your enclosed trailer. If you are tent camping and it gets nasty you have a dry place to sleep. Or ask about a place you could unhook the trailer and leave at the camp grounds. Most of them will have a grassy area to keep a trailer.

Yes, I had trouble trying to back the car and dolly into my driveway. I just gave up and unloaded it in middle of my dead end street at 5 AM this morning.... Luckily nobody drove by while we were unloading it... :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

Backing up with a dolly SUCKS!!! :finga: :finga: :finga:

I can see your enclosed trailer being too much, but I can't see not being able to find a spot for a transport trailer? Most campsites around here have an overflow area. I'm sure there's even a place In the closest town you can Park the trailer unnoticed, or the closest U haul dealership to your camp spot. One day one way rental there and one way one day rental back.

-
Back