Car is bucking and surging...

-

TXcharger07

I'm awesome
Reaction score
I have a 74 duster, 318-3speed manual(tree), edelbrock performer intake, edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl.

When I ease into the throttle the car, it seems more whenever I get into the secondaries that the car will surge and buck uncontrollably and act like it's about to stall. My aftermarket tachometer will go wild and jump and the only way to get it to stop is to upshift, as far as I know it will do it in any gear although I have not tried third. I first thought maybe it was not getting enough fuel.. so I upped the accelerator pump, then it still happened but was a little better, then upped it all the way and it didn't do it until about 4,000 rpm.

My room mate is leading me to believe it is the ignition coil.. does that make sense? I thought it did, just because the way the tach is acting and it is wired to the coil.

any other ideas?

The std 600 doesnt have adjustable secondaries... What is the timing set at on the car? Can you do a compression test on it?

I meant start adjusting the butterfly screw, underneath. The vacuum linkage. But yes, start with the timing ,including total.

Well it had been running fine prior to.. I'll start with the ignition coil. And then move to those idea's if it doesn't get better.

...........Disconnect the vac hose 2 the dist.........if problem goes away, replace the pickup assambly.............kim...........

...........Disconnect the vac hose 2 the dist.........if problem goes away, replace the pickup assambly.............kim...........

oldkimmer has a point, the vacuum advance plate is only held on by a small pin and a spring steel clip. Over time they get sloppy and the vacuum advance can pull the pickup away from the reluctor.

Make sure your ignition box has a good solid ground to the firewall too.....

It was the ignition coil, thanks for the input! and I'm gonna check on those other things as well.. The easiest way for me to start the car alot of the time is to jump from the battery to the ignition coil.. Otherwise it's really hard to start.

I had the same problem way back when. When you stand on the throttle the car bucks like a horse until you take your foot off the gas, right.
It turned out to be a problem with the float level in the carb. Level was too low and the carb was starving for fuel. I had to replace a broken needle & seat assembly.

I had the same problem way back when. When you stand on the throttle the car bucks like a horse until you take your foot off the gas, right.
It turned out to be a problem with the float level in the carb. Level was too low and the carb was starving for fuel. I had to replace a broken needle & seat assembly.

That's interesting... I think mine might actually be to high, but correct me if I'm wrong, when I take a corner the engine idle will drop a bunch and try to stall, I was thinking that might mean it was to high?

Then when I get on it, it feels like it's packing up and then once you get to around 4,000rpm it lets loose and runs great. If it could do that all the time I'd be happy :p It's probably just a carb issue.. got it from a u-pull-it yard so it could probably use a rebuild and professionals' touch as far as tuning it. I've also been trying to figure out how to adjust the vacuum advance... haha I've got a lot of little issues.

-
Back