Car paint prices WTF!

-
been doing paint and body work for 25 years some reds are around 700.00 the last car i did inside and out, the supply bill was around 2300.00 plus dipping was 1200 that was in 2005

One thing about water that is a bit shocking at first, is how the color changes as it flashes off.

Straight out of the gun you may say...... "What the hell, that color is way off."

Then you let it dry, hit it with some clear and and your real color is there.

One thing about water that is a bit shocking at first, is how the color changes as it flashes off.

Straight out of the gun you may say...... "What the hell, that color is way off."

Then you let it dry, hit it with some clear and and your real color is there.
Im not really looking forward to useing it but I have heard from my jobber the paint matches are way better you can actually panel paint with it. Its just goning to be a new learning curve i guess. But I really dont see the benifit when the only thing that is water is the base and all the other materials are still solvent base.

From my experience I would not say water is any better or worse for color matching. If you panel paint with it you are just as likely to get a mismatch.

Funny, we had a Sherwin-Williams rep in, doing a demo. We ran out of his special "Sherwin-Williams, water" so he just grabbed some out of the sink and told us not to tell anyone.

Worked just as well.

the quart of Plum Crazy that I used last fall to paint the door jambs, under hood and inside trunk areas of my Duster cost me $35.

but that was about 15 years ago lol.

HVLP guns came out.

The transfer rate went way up.

Higher transfer rate = You need less paint for the same amount being covered.

Paint sales dropped dramatically.

Paint manufacturers reacted by raising the price of paint.

This is one part of the higher cost as explained to me.

Sorry paint manufacturer's raised prices when sales were slumping? Kinda goes against the law of supply and demand..

A bit O/T, but here's a thread I did on another board about a teeny-budget paint job I did on another one of my cars. I know some of you might cringe, but it was sort of an experiment that ended up quite successful, and it might be an interesting read for some of you who are looking to cheap out...

http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31850

Good Job Don..... nothing wrong with doing something cheap if that's your only option... you did a great job.

That bug looked like it turned out real nice.

Looks really good,D.V.I have shot Rusty a few times,reminds me of early 80's Dupont Centari.

Question? just for grins, what would a car look like if it was painted with Valspar Exterior High Gloss Paint in Red or black @ 35 bucks a gallon? Would it not flow smooth or look like primer? Its oil based. We painted an autoshop beater car with Dutch Boy latex and a roller as a joke, turned out awful! :-0

Hmm, house paint, huh? I'm sure it'd look fab!
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, I'm totally thrilled with the way the Bug came out, WAY better than I thought it would. The total cost was somewhere around 200 bucks, but that's including the guns and water filters, extra work lights, solvents, a ton of stuff that I'll be using with the next job. The paint itself was under 20 bucks.
My 67 fish is getting the same treatment later on this year, and I'll definitely post pics in the same fashion as the Bug write-up!

-
Back