car quest ignition module?

-

pjc360

Reaction score
Today i gave up and bought a car quest ignition module, i made sure to get the better qauilty module they charged me 57 bucks and some change for it, when i opened it up it looked identical to the standard ignition module that i seen for sale online for 65 bucks.
Does standard supply car quest with there ignition parts? i also noticed the module i got from car quest also looks alot like the borg warner i seen for sale on oreilly auto parts web site... does anybody know for sure who makes the premium ignition parts for car quest? Also has anybody else ran the premium car quest ignition modules? if so are they good reliabe and consistent modules? or did i get ripped off?

Today i gave up and bought a car quest ignition module, i made sure to get the better qauilty module they charged me 57 bucks and some change for it, when i opened it up it looked identical to the standard ignition module that i seen for sale online for 65 bucks.
Does standard supply car quest with there ignition parts? i also noticed the module i got from car quest also looks alot like the borg warner i seen for sale on oreilly auto parts web site... does anybody know for sure who makes the premium ignition parts for car quest? Also has anybody else ran the premium car quest ignition modules? if so are they good reliabe and consistent modules? or did i get ripped off?

Car Quest uses Wells ignition as does NAPA gold line and AutoZone. different boxes same stuff. As is most OEM actually....

to much reboxing in auto parts now to really tell....that same module may be in a cheaper version in a different parts chain or even the same one...there may only be a couple of different suppliers but 20 different brand types....kinda like antifreeze, last i heard on that was only 3 different antifreeze suppliers but several different brands...

The best one that is supposedly better is the Standard Motor Products one. Sounds like that is the one you got.

having worked at cq for 18 years yes you could have a standard ignition part in their box because of it being a older part that does have a fast turnaround,cq does stand behind the products they sell.

Well what else could it be besides a standard part? who makes the ignition parts for car quest right now? its still standard right? and i think it could possibly be a borg warner, the module i got from car quest looks identical to the standard x-series module and the borg warner module, i could go out of town and purchase the borg warner select module for 25 bucks, come back here and put that borg warner module in the car quest box and go to car quest and return it and they would never know that it wasnt the module they sold me. I just hope it is a standard module, everyone tells me they are the best modules other then the mopar orange and chrome modules. i have never had a problem with car quest parts before, although i just barely started buying from them, i used to go to napa religiously, but napa has a new owner that jacked the prices up way to high, and i thought borg warner/nieoff supplyed napa with there echlin brand ignition parts?

Mjs, was car quest using standard products when you worked there? and you said if the box was old enough it could be a standard, are they using a different supplyer now other then standard? i had always heard that car quest ignition parts were standard and there filters were wix and there oil was valvoline.... some of the standard modules i seen online were blue and some of them were a bright silver color with a gold plate on them, wich is what i got from car quest its bright silver with a gold plate and on the button on the gold plate that normally tells you where its made it says ST does the ST stand for standard? on the box the module came in it says made in usa so its gotta be a prettty good module if it was made in usa, instead of chine and me

"Well what else could it be besides a standard part? who makes the ignition parts for car quest right now?"

WELLS

ive had not work there in over a year and at the time we were changing over our ignition line to wells but alot of the stuff was just relabled so yes it could still be standard parts in the box.must of the new product would be sealed in a plastic bag and if it was opened there was no return,

yes the module i got was in a sealed bag... i think its a standard box, but if its a wells i guess thats ok, but i'd rather have the standard, it says ST right on the button on the gold plate on the module, so doesnt that mean its a standard? why would a wells ignition part say ST on it? the ST makes me think its a standard. but could be wrong

I think what some of us are tryin' ta tell ya is that Wells is fairly low on our list

It would not be a Standard/ Blue Streak in a Wells box, unless it was some sort of inventory "change out" sometimes if a store changes brands they rebox and relable stuff

It says made in usa, i looked at a borg warner select module today from orielly's and it looked a little different then the module that i got from car quest that says ST on it, they are both bright silver with gold on them but the gold on the borg warner is a little lighter color and it says made in china on the borg warner, so i didnt want it as a spare, all the china bought ignition parts i have bought sucked.

When Carquest changed from STD ignition part nos,to some style of six digit ford no system,(2007)I noticed 2 things.1st,the warranty dropped from a year to 90 days.2nd,the parts were not the same,box to box.(Chain buyouts,and reboxing).As for the blue modules,good stuff!Old school,Standard blue streak.

Well i seen a standard x-series for sale online that looked alot like the module i got from car quest, it's bright silver with a dark gold plate on it, and on the button on the gold plate it says ST, so i guess its possible that its a standard, i sure hope i didnt pay 57 bucks and sum change for a piece of crap wells. could have gotten a duralast from autozone wich is wells for 20 bucks.

what leads me to believe i got a standard is the fact i seen one for sale online that looked just like it, and the fact that it says ST on it.

Car Quest uses Wells ignition as does NAPA gold line and AutoZone. different boxes same stuff. As is most OEM actually....

Only partially true. I managed a Carquest store and the cheaper line came from Wells, but the higher quality line was Borg Warner or Standard ignition depending on the part. Of course when a parts store changes lines, the new company supplies new boxes and you put the other companies parts into the new boxes. I don't work there anymore, but I still buy from Carquest because they have quality parts. Napa as well.

Only partially true. I managed a Carquest store and the cheaper line came from Wells, but the higher quality line was Borg Warner or Standard ignition depending on the part. Of course when a parts store changes lines, the new company supplies new boxes and you put the other companies parts into the new boxes. I don't work there anymore, but I still buy from Carquest because they have quality parts. Napa as well.

You're correct, hence the refinement of my question/answer of RIG or ECC line codes. I still manage one.

I got the premium blue box car quest module, looks alot like the standard x-series i seen on partsgeek.com its bright silver with a gold plate and says st on the button on the gold plate, i'm pretty sure its a standard, why would a wells module say st on it?

I just grab a handful of factory boxes when I go to the junk yard...and I always lose them before I need them. I've yet to have a factory box go bad.

Now that I say that....

my factory box went out, o well im going to order a mopar chrome box and i'll keep these car quest module weather it be a standard or a wells i'll just keep it as a spare.

-
Back