Car shows- Something does not make sense

-

Pawned

N.R.A. Lifetime Member - And damn proud of it
Reaction score
There is a local car show (generic) that hopes to attract Thousands of people to come and look at my car and those of the other collectors.
Our cars are the attraction.

If Garth Brooks is doing a concert, would you charge him for the privilege of playing the concert?
NO, you charge the people that want to come see him and hear him sing- right?

So why do these car shows charge us to bring and show our cars, that will bring thousands of people to come see them.
Are we not doing a favor to the organizers, just to bring our cars to his show?

I have at least $25K into my car. If they want me to come and show my efforts, charge the people that are coming to view our cars. Do not charge the cars' owners.

I will never go to a show that charges me to let others view my car and effort

Ed

there is a show here in Michigan, at the Gilmore Car Museum (in fact, they host all sorts of shows) and with admission to the show comes admission to the museum, so things are a little different

last time i went to the mopars show there, i intended to go as a spectator
but the guy at the fence explained to me it was cheaper to enter the duster as a display vehicle then to buy tickets for me, my boy and my buddy

so i entered it, and left when i was done

I don't think I have ever paid to attend a car show. As a matter of fact one of the larger car shows, Dover Rod run is coming up Oct 2. No charge and they grill and feed everyone for free!

As a car club past president I understand both sides of the issue . Producing a show costs $$. I also understand the cars are the stars . if the show is for charity , you are making adonation to that charity . If you are attending the MoparNats/ Chryslers at Carlisle/mopary you are paying the promoter . That's why cruise nights are so popular now .

i also feel they should pay me, the spectator, for every 2000 and up vehicle on display

its a car show, not a dealer lot

Now I'm talking about local car shows, not a Carlisle event. I never waste my time on those. Yes some are charity events, Some are put on by local churches like the Dover Rod run. It is put on by Dover Baptist church has been for many years.

I went to one at my local Memorial park this past Memorial day. There wasn't a charge to get in, but food and drinks were sold etc. I'm not sure if every car paid to enter, but there was an awards ceremony for the cars and trophies. if you wanted to enter your car to be judged I'm sure there was a fee. I drove my Fox body and parked it in the parking area. It was the only one there and I found that odd.

Its the car clubs and what not the hoity-toity trophy crowd..etc. after being in the military I've had enough of clubs...:)

I'm new to going to car shows with my car and I really hate it when I'm charged to park my car in the show. I don't care about a trophy because that only looks good on a shelf for bragging rights that I could care less about.
I go to car shows to meet up with new friends and the little kids that want to sit in my car and dad gets a picture of them.
Eat a hot dog and drink a beer and enjoy all you guys with your old car no matter what shape it's in.
That's a car show to me....

I have bitched about this for years. Thats part of the reason I wuit foin shows. I totally agree. We are the entertsinment and we are paying to get in. While Johnny inbred gets in for free and points out everything he thinks is wrong with your car. Meanwhile he is rolling up in a 72 Pinto.

I look at paying for entering a car as paying for premium parking, I'm rarely at my car.

Another reason is access, typically it is easier to regulate the cars entering the show than people as most shows are in parks or open parking lots.

Alan

If I don’t register and pay the fee, then I am not considered for a trophy (which I don’t want). Fine by me. I will pay if the fee goes to a charity though.

There is a local car show (generic) that hopes to attract Thousands of people to come and look at my car and those of the other collectors.

If Garth Brooks is doing a concert, would you charge him for the privilege of playing the concert?

So why do these car shows charge us to bring and show our cars, that will bring thousands of people to come see them.

I have at least $25K into my car. If they want me to come and show my efforts, charge the people that are coming to view our cars. Do not charge the cars' owners.

Ed
Try being in a band.

I've always felt the same way, I don't mind paying $10.00 if the money is going to charity. That being said, I haven't entered any shows in probably 5 years now, I would rather walk around and see what's there, take pictures of the ones I find interesting, and leave. Tired of sitting around in the hot sun for hours and have no real interest in a trophy that will just be a dust collector.

Frankly car shows are to long a day for me
I was at one two Sundays ago and didn’t have my car judged and left shortly before the trophies were given out
I paid my twenty bucks to enter and all in all I had a good time
I enjoy these Sunday morning gatherings much more

A2670DDE-101D-48D6-B686-58A05DBAA2C3.jpeg

Last edited:

Ed
Nobody should be charged

Frankly car shows are to long a day for me
I was at one two Sundays ago and didn’t have my car judged and left shortly before the trophies were given out
I paid my twenty bucks to enter and all in all I had a good time
I enjoy these Sunday mourning gatherings much more

View attachment 1715794452
It looks like a trophy winner, very nice

$10 to park your car next to some $$ restos and have the public oggle at all of them beats the free parking in the back lot where a douche in a pick up dings your car with his door TWICE (?) and could give a rip. Plus that $10 gets you prime parking for hauling all your swap meet loot back to your trunk instead of carrying 4 rims (in 2 shifts) the 1/8 mile to your general parking spot. I got no issue with that. Paying more to get your car judged? Have at it if it makes you feel good.

Car shows that are set up by car clubs are essentially a fund raiser.
Our Sacramento Mopar club has one show a year and it funds all the club's activities and financial obligations for the following year.
For the club, there are monthly meetings at a place that always comes at a price. We used to pay $100 a month for just ONE meeting that lasted maybe 2 1/2 hours. Storage of car show equipment costs money. The various other activities like show and shines, holiday dinner parties, cruise-in food and drinks....it all costs money.
It sounds arrogant to hear people say....Why should I pay to be in a show? I'm providing the car!
Yeah....The club has to rent the venue, buy trophies, food, (If we are selling it) T-shirts, raffle prizes, pay a photographer, pay someone to play music, there is computer software, paper and ink, clean-up fees, sometimes security personnel is needed too.
Some clubs on the West coast have to pay over $5000 to rent a place to have the show.
If the clubs don't make money on their shows, the club goes broke and disbands. THEN you won't have a local show to take your car.

-
Back