car shredding

-
v1.jpg

i got a feeling that may be fake
from a movie maybe?
perhaps a famous movie?

I dont think that scene was fake besides the reverse 'healing' playback, CG wasnt what it is back then. But many new car commercials are CG superimposed on a real universal wheelbase chassis. Very weird where the tech goes nowadays.......

yeah, after i wrote that, i realized there are different ways to define "fake" because as you mentioned, it wasnt a cardboard car they crushed

the way i intended it was, it wasnt a real picture of a bulldozer crushing a car, it was from a movie

About 20 years back I used to hall scrap metal from work to a very large scrap yard, large enough that it had it's own rail network and a scale large enough to weigh rail cars. They even had people directing traffic so you ended up in the right area for what you were going to unload.

They also had a large powerful shredding machine, able to shred complete cars in about 15 seconds, coming out in pieces no larger than your fist. The ground shook next to this machine. After being shredded the remains were somehow sorted as they went through the machine and ultimately came out on two conveyor belts, one loading metal directly into a rail car and the other making a big pile of all the other stuff. It was an incredible sight.

About 20 years back I used to hall scrap metal from work to a very large scrap yard, large enough that it had it's own rail network and a scale large enough to weigh rail cars. They even had people directing traffic so you ended up in the right area for what you were going to unload.

They also had a large powerful shredding machine, able to shred complete cars in about 15 seconds, coming out in pieces no larger than your fist. The ground shook next to this machine. After being shredded the remains were somehow sorted as they went through the machine and ultimately came out on two conveyor belts, one loading metal directly into a rail car and the other making a big pile of all the other stuff. It was an incredible sight.
Too bad they don't run all the new Camaros through it

It's only a matter of time before the tree hugging left goes after our classic cars again. There have been attempts in the past to confiscate all cars that cannot pass a smog test. It hasn't happened for a while, so we may be due again.

The way they sort stuff is amazing too: magnetics for ferrous material, water baths for floating and sinking stuff, etc. Scrap is big business. My father in law ran a big yard and had a collection of "interesting " stuff they found on the 'belt': grenades, live rounds, precision measuring equipment that was out of spec, 5 snap-on torque wrenches...a 30mm depleted uranium round from an A-10 that set the radiation alarm off and shut the whole yard down for 30 minutes.....wild stuff.

An hour from here is a big shredder. They melt there as well. My buddy works on the cooling floor,aparrently its a sight to see.

-
Back