Car Stereo Installation

-

dragnknights

Reaction score
I want to know if anyone out there has any cool ways to mount a late model stereo in my dart. I don't want to hack out the stock stereo, and I was thinking maybe the glovebox. What advice can anyone offer. Pics would be helful. Thanks!

lol this seems to be a big question lately. there are a few things you can do without having to cut the dash. one would be as you said do a glove box install. another would be to buy an after market deck that would fit like a factory one would in the dash but get one that has sat hook up or a set of pre outs and aux jax so that you can add a cd or dvd player amps and what not in another location. or you can do an under dash mount. either bolted up to the bottom of the dash or as ive see pics on here build a console from the dash to floor that will hold the radio.

my 73 duster has an am/fm/cd player in the glove box.

it has a remote...so i do have to open the glove box door to make any changes...

Great ideas already above. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want a totally clean look without having to give up the glove box you can add a trunk amp and run a single wire to the glove box to use an ipod. Depending on what you have as far as speakers it should actually be easier than adding a new stereo in the glove box. Just my 2 cents.

I like the ideas, thanks! What can I build the glove compartment stereo mount out of? Wood? Metal?

Check out my setup. Pretty common & simple. I have a remote so I don't have to lean forward to change the station or skip a song. Once I get my console installed the ash tray will be a great place for the remote.

I thought about going the glove box route, but I use it for storage. Also, I skip stations / songs all the time and I don't like the idea of having to open the GB to change the station.

DSC03359.jpg

you can use MDF or metal/aluminum, what every is easier for you to work with. just keep in mind what would be easier to do a finish panel for. my opinion would be to use 1/4" and 1/2" MDF with metal brackets then you make a trim panel to finish it off if your wanting to save some box space. if having space is of no concern then you can make a solid panel across the box (be sure you leave room that the door will close).

I`d like to see what people have done here. When I bought my 67 convertible it had a multi-disc player/radio in the trunk with a wired remote. Cool system but much more than what I really wanted. On my other car I sent the original AM out to a company that gutted it and installed a 4 channel amplifier with 45 watts per channel, AM/FM, and aux. inputs for MP3`s etc.

Here is another option for ya. I have mounted many head units in the truck. Most marine and some good car audio shops will sell a remote system that will work with your stereos remote. You hide the sensor somewhere out of sight on the dash and the other end mounts by your deck in the truck. A benifit to this is all the RCA cables from the head unit to your amps in the truck are now gone..you just need the short ones which is better in the long run anyway, you just need to run your power and speaker wire. I have gotton tons of comments on the installs this way. Don't have to cut the dash or take up the glove box and is outta sight.
AL

Check out radio conversions, this winter for about the price of a good headunit I am having my stock am radio gutted and turned into a digital am/fm unit with ipod and or cd changer hookups on it.

45wx4 channels and looks like a stock radio fits the stock hole.

i made a center counsel for my dart to mount my cd player cuz i didnt wanna hack up the dash with the original still workin AM.

Picture118.jpg

Overhead console for the unit?!? If you need more power, unit will need pre-amp outs and an amplifier. Run antenna lead down passenger side A-pillar, power up driver's side.

I'm suspending a big amp from the parcel shelf in the trunk. Although it's tempting to invert the amp and connect directly to shelf, it puts the heat sink on the underside where its effectiveness is significantly compromised.

-
Back