car still running with no key wtf

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
so i parked the car today after i came back from gettin my x pipe installed ( sounds great by the way ) and when i turned the ignition off nothing happened . i pulled key completely out and car was still running what caused this? its 4 speed 410 stroked duster 74 my tach had cut out as well it is equipped with msd 6 al i did notice the neutral safety wire had touched my exhaust burned a bit could that cause this to happen?? thanks

Sounds like maybe your starter wires might be melted to the headers also,causing it to short out..Time to do a thorough wire inspection.

When you install msd6, sometimes you have to install diode inline with alt. fld wire or car will not shutoff due too the field being energized from msd. It happenned to my Corvette( also have 66 Cuda and 71 RR). Look at installation instructions and see if they recommend a diode for mopar installation.

Mopar MSD 6AL installations usually don't need a diode (you're not running a GM alternator, are you?), sounds like shorted field in the alternator. MSD does recommend installing a resistor in the red wire if run-on is a problem, see their instructions available on-line.
Since you already have a cut-out switch for the tach feed, have you thought of adding an additional position to ground it? That will provide a fail-safe kill switch as well as an anti-theft device.
The neutral safety wire is not the culprit, as it only provides a ground during starting.

i seen many alternators short out causeing same problem.feild shorts out,pull off two field wires.see if stops.

Explain to me how this happens, and what brand alternator you are referring to.

had that happen 40 years ago on my Dart, wish I could remember the cause and cure .

Explain to me how this happens, and what brand alternator you are referring to.
frist acr was 1993 dodge dynasty with denso alt. after removeing alternator found continuity from feild to out put stud.caused back feed to igntion switch.i could unplug switch with car running and would stay running,had battery power in harness with switch unpluged.second car was 1978 dodge aspen.

-
Back