car wont charge

-

68valiant400

Reaction score
does anyone know what the alternator exciter wire on a painless kit is for? its the only thing i have not hooked up in the kit so i suspect thats why. 68 plymouth 12 circuit kit

what do you have hooked up to the alternator? If i remember right, the voltage regualtor works the ground side of the alternator field. Exciter should bring power to it.

i believe the blue wire supplies 12v power to the alt from the regulator and the green is ground? i might be backwards. what are the wires for the alt from the kit?

red = battery positive post , that's a given. Green is field for a single wire altenater and mechanical voltage regulater. Green and blue are borh field connecters for the later 2 wire (square back) altenater.

i think i know the problem now i just have to add the alt exciter wire from the kit to one of the fields on the alt, iam going to try that ill post my results thanks for the help

you have a voltage regulator wired up as well right? Also keep an eye on your ammeter or check the battery voltage when you fire it up. You may start overcharging which will hurt things in a hurry

-
Back