car wont idle when warm in gear

-

DaisyDart

Reaction score
So, when the car is cold she idles alright, if i drive her around and get to a light or a stop, and i dont keep some pressure on the gas pedal she wants to stall. Im running a holley single barrel carb. Im wondering if the carb needs to be rebuild and\0r tuned.. or is there something else causing her to choke on idle and stall.

Check everything for a vacuum leak.....All hoses and the carb base for sure.

Don't discount adding a little initial timing above the factory recommended specs also.

How does it do going down the road after warm up? Maybe you have a choke issue, sticking or something.

+1 on checking for vacuum leaks. I had a manifold leak on me that progressively got worse until I had the same issue as you. Replaced the manifold to head gasket, no problem. Spray some carb cleaner around the probable areas (manifold gaskets etc) but DON'T spray on the carb, as carburetor cleaner is powerful and will dissolve the components of the vacuum choke diaphragm.

Have someone hold the throttle so the car is running like your saying and staying alive when warm. Spray short, quick bursts around the manifold gaskets and carb base gasket. If the idle speed picks up and smooths out, then the vacuum leak will suck the carb cleaner into the leak thus richening the mixture. Once the leak is located, you know what to do.

-
Back