Car won't turn over?!? help? (pic added)

-

myasylum

Reaction score
Well, this is kind of an odd situation, because the car was dying a lot on me of late. Today, I just decided to check the timing, I thought maybe the distributor was loose and and the timing was all out of whack. but when I tried to start the car, all I heard was a "click". that was it. I think the click is coming from the starter?? but it won't turn over.

I figured the timing was out of whack because the last few times I tried to start it after it died, it was turning over hard. I had to fight just to keep it running and into the garage. Surprisingly I made it into the garage instead of dead on the road. The lights work and everything too.

Any diagnosis ideas?

Thanks!

Try either a forklift/backhoe, or going into a really tight turn at about 80. It'll go... :D

It sounds to me like either the battery or cables are worn/weak, or the starter is on it's way out. If the lights work the battery "should" be ok, but the cables could be bad, or the starter draw is too high. As a rule I replace the cables whenever I do a starter. Especially if the car "has to start every time". Any recycler will have the starters off Magnum V8 or V6 trucks for cheap... It's the same part as the MP mini starter.

battery is fine, lights work.

What year starter should I ask for, and for a Dakota, v-6 or v-8?

Your lights will work even if your battery is crap. It could still be putting out enough juice to run the lights, but not enough cranking amps to turn the motor.

One simple check that usually works: Turn on your high beams and blow your horn. If your lights dim a little when your horn blows, the battery is not supplying a lot of juice. The other suggestions mentioned are correct. THe battery cables could be corroded, the alternator may not be charging the battery correctly, the battery may have a shorted cell, or it may be just plain worn out depending on how old it is and how it is used.

Most auto parts stores will test your battery for free, so take it out and have it checked. Simplest thing to do. If it checks out ok, charge it up, and then take the whole car down to the store. They will also check out your entire electrical/charging system for free.

battery is fine, lights work.

ummmm starter takes a lot more out of the battery than the lights. You might want to put a charger on it for a few hours before testing things... that will make your tests more accurate.First of all, put a volt meter on the battery, it should be a bit over 12 v (maybe up to 12.5). then turn on the headlights and see what it reads (should go down a bit...) then have someone hit the key and see how much the voltage drops on the battery. If the voltage does not drop much at all, you probably have a bad connection somewhere. However, it could be a dead cell in the battery, or wiring, or starter, or battery real low because of a weak charging system.... or any combination of the above.

Well... I think it's the starter, BUT when I put a hammer down but the starter to tap on on, it arched from the battery cable to a metal brake line. It seems I may have a couple issues going on here.

Man, even a mini starter with headers is a *****! I can't remember what I used to get the nut tight for the cable. Uncool!

Is there a year starter I should be asking for a Dakota starter?

Thanks!

I just bought a 95 Dakota starter, it was about $150.

If it is making a clicking sound, check both your grounds, and your starter relay for any corrosion.

It just makes one "click" and that's it.
It sounds like it may be the sound of the starter engaging, but not turning.
I think?

If a mini starter is dying would it turn over hard like the timing is to advanced?
I thought they just died and that was it?

battery,cables,ground,alternator,starter,relay,ignition and solenoid all come to mind.

check all connections,make sure your batterys good,make sure your grounded,make sure your terminals are tight,try arcing the terminals on the solenoid to see if it will start which will tell you if its an ignition or ignition wiring problem.

probably a fairly simple fix after you pinpoint the problem.

Good luck!

Found the problem. Nice, huh?

The thing is, this is the positive cable that goes directly to the starter.
Would it only effect the starter or other things as well??

Like i say, it has been dying a lot lately, but would this cause the starter to turn over slow? If there is power there for the starter to "click", wouldn't there be power there to start?

I don't know much about this electrical stuff. Please help!

Thanks!

batterycable.jpg

the "click" comes from the solenoid, which is controlled by a small wire, it will click without the large batt wire connected at all. The large wire supplies the current needed to turn the starter.

Ah! That would explain things! I suppose to with that wire being eaten away, it probably isn't getting the power it needs to turn over correctly either. (would be my guess?)

Would this cause a short, that would cause the engine to die more frequently though? Thanks!

-
Back