Carb and intake are leaning to passenger side

-

Walt_Felix

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question. I picked up a (new/unused) Weiand X-CELerator 7545 intake at a swap meet a number of years back and recently decided to install it on my small block. However, after installing it, I noticed the both air cleaner and carb are noticeably leaning to the passenger side. It was never like that with the old intake. The intake in seated well and there are no leaks. Any thoughts as to why it is doing this and what I can do? It's strange, I never seen anything like this before.

53068358092_f8fede7a76_b[1].jpg

Maybe its an illusion, but when I look at your valve covers, they appear to be leaning also- which means the whole engine is leaning... time to check your motor mounts, I think.

The intake and carb can't lean, the guys are right. It's your mounts.

The air filter and carb are connected to the air intake. The valve covers and heads are connected to the engine block. The exhaust manifolds is also connected to the heads. All of these are connected to the engine block which is connected to the car by the………

engine mounts!

Just to toss gas on the fire....
What if one head was surfaced, and one deck was as well???

But I'm thinking motor mounts too.

Just to toss gas on the fire....
What if one head was surfaced, and one deck was as well???

But I'm thinking motor mounts too.
:lol:
Well, if your calibrated eyeball can detect a few thousandths, you're in waaay better shape than me! I doubt if ANY of them were ever THAT level to begin with!

Thanks, I think I may have figured out a possible cause. First, the picture is not very good and at the angle it was shot, it looks like the whole engine is leaning. It's not and the motor mounts are good. What I realized after posting this is the arm of the front accelerator pump is resting directly on the aluminum plate (I guess it's a Mr Gasket Carburetor Heat Shield) on top of the intake. The old intake didn't have this and it looks like it's missing the spacers when I looked that up on Summit. I suspect that may be preventing the carb from fully tightening down on that side. I'm going to try removing it and see if the carb sits flatter.

mrg-3710_xl[1].jpg

Have to use a carburetor spacer when using the heat shield with a Holley.

That was the issue. Once I removed the heat shield, the carb sat proper again. I'm going to get a half inch spacer before I put it back on.

-
Back