carb backfiring

-

70dusta

Reaction score
hey everyone i keep havinthis problem. my cars been having trouble starting. while its turnjing over it will backfire through the carb every few times, and when it does get running it run good with it mid-high revved but as soon as it drops down to idle it stall-backfire out he carb. Is this timing or the carb tuning? thanks for your help

2 quick things come to mind to check , Distributor is 180 degrees out or maybe ballast resistor?

Those symptoms have always ended up being incorrect timing. If the dist was 180 out I don't think it would run at all.

Well, it could be one or a combination of a lot of things. When did it start doing it? Was it a quick happening deal one morning, or after you tuned/adjusted/replaced something? When it does run, what does it feel like? How does it run? Do you have a timing light, and is yes, what is the timing set at now?

without more info it would be hard to say
engine size
modified
what have you checked
a starting point would be to check the plug wiring order
to see if the wires are in the right order and their condition

check timing..... I have the exact same problem going on my slant/6. I have an electronic ignition ordered off of ebay, so i don't have to reset points. Now if they guy would get off his arse and mail them to me.

-
Back