Carb choice

-

DAndy ART

dreams becoming reality
Reaction score
I have a 318ci with a edelbrock 1806 carb on a 67 Dart. I have read a little about the new 1906 AVS2. Both are 650cfm.

The question is whether or not to invest on the new AVS2 or keep the 1806. Is there a significant difference?

Any thoughts welcome. Andy

I have a 318ci with a edelbrock 1806 carb on a 67 Dart. I have read a little about the new 1906 AVS2. Both are 650cfm.

The question is whether or not to invest on the new AVS2 or keep the 1806. Is there a significant difference?

Any thoughts welcome. Andy
Honestly : what camshaft, gears ,and exhaust...do you currently have ?
And how much further ,do you want ,to go?

No idea on cam. Running 3.55 with LSD. 2.5" exhaust. Just street. More responsive would be nice. Autocross and mountain driving in the future but also have a 416ci in a year or two's time....

If you do a cfm calculation for a 318 you will see a 650 is way too big for a 318 and thats why she feels lazy.

For the 318 an Ede 1405 600cfm is perfectly matched. Great signal, and throttle response.
Your EdeThunder Series 650cfm is an awesome carb, but better matched for a 340/360.
Good Day :)

The only reason Mopar got away with putting 800 CFM carbs on everything is because the thermoquad is a spread bore, with tiny little primaries. The secondaries only opened up as much as the motor demanded. A square bore carburetor will always have the secondaries the same size as the primaries, making the primaries too big for smaller and lower RPM engines. I had a 600 Holley on a 350 about 10 years ago before I switch to Mopar, and it put out 322 to the back wheels. Later, I switched to a 750 and it put out 331 to the back wheels but was a dog under 3 Grand. Not worth it to over carburate something.

I would not change the carb. Up or down in cfm. The AVS II will have a slight advantage in the primary operation. Not enough to justify the cost of the new carb. Keep tuning the carb and engine timing.

-
Back