Carb conundrum

-
How's that Jay_340?

Capt.
The aluminum adapter spacer is approx.3/4 inch thick. IIRC. Add the thickness of the two gaskets to however thick the spacer is. The adapter will bolt down to a RPM. The underside
Of the adapter will hold 4 bolts in place upwards so you can bolt down a TQ.

Here is a TQ (Love this shot!) on top of a Edelbrock square bore intake. The MoPar intake is all ready a TQ ready intake, as we all know. Very little spacer, maybe a thick gasket?

IMG_0009.JPG

Capt. I picked it up used and only had the divider milled down.
I do not know what these intakes flow.

So, Rob's experiment got me to wondering. Rather than continuing to 'guess-timate' I grabbed the old gasket to check my theory...

I think I see daylight...
30323809935_6271ee8223_z.jpg

Yep. I do see daylight...
29693381443_6b1055f506_z.jpg

...with no 'fudge factor' on the gasket at all.
30323821085_4e119f41b2_z.jpg

That leaves two options.
1) Run the Holley
2) Use the adapter plate and run open plenum
*****OR*****
Run the TQ on the cast iron stocker.

30323809935_6271ee8223_z.jpg

Or run the thermoquad with a 1" thick spreadbore to squarebore adapter on the RPM intake like we did on the ld340 40 years ago. the 1955 Chrysler 354 was rated at 355 horsepower-the first engine to make more than 1 hp per cube. the 1970 340 six barrel made 290 hp. and the 1968-71 340 was rated at 275

Or run the thermoquad with a 1" thick spreadbore to squarebore adapter on the RPM intake like we did on the ld340 40 years ago. the 1955 Chrysler 354 was rated at 355 horsepower-the first engine to make more than 1 hp per cube. the 1970 340 six barrel made 290 hp. and the 1968-71 340 was rated at 275
So you are saying this will work then, RPM Air Gap w/ TQ, open plenum spacer with no gasket centerpiece under the baseplate...? (choke issues notwithstanding)
17006660137_84a3e1de01_z.jpg

Doesn't the divider look like it might cause some turbulence issues?

yes it works. do some grinding to make it work better. like stock heads and then ported heads
Stupid question, but would an open plenum design like my early Torker work better in this situation?

Last edited:
Stupid question, but would an open plenum design like my early Torker work better in this situation?

The dead best open plenum intake is the Holley Street Dominator single plane. It accepts a TQ directly and it has a very large plenum that enhances bottom end torque over most any other single plane. They actually rival some of the high rise dual planes. It's a little known secret in the vintage intake world, because everyone refuses to believe a single plane intake can have any bottom end, but it was a well advertised fact when those intakes were new.

Last edited:
So you are saying this will work then, RPM Air Gap w/ TQ, open plenum spacer with no gasket centerpiece under the baseplate...? (choke issues notwithstanding)
View attachment 1714980036

Doesn't the divider look like it might cause some turbulence issues?

I wouldn't worry about it but if you do, do nothing more than round off the edges. Don't worry about milling the divider down.

The dead best open plenum intake is the Holley Street Dominator single plane. It accepts a TQ directly and it has a very large plenum that enhances bottom end torque over most any other single plane. They actually rival some of the high rise dual planes. It's a little known secret in the vintage intake world, because every refuses to believe a single plane intake can have any bottom end, but it was a well advertised fact when those intakes were new.

Every combination is different.I had a '69 340 Dart with a stock cam, a Torker, and a 600 edelbrock
..With a stock converter and 3.55's that thing would sqeal for half a block even though everyone is convinced the old Torker is a waste of money....it pulled hard start to finish!

Last edited:
Every combination is different.I had a '69 340 Dart with a stock cam, a Torker, and a 600 edelbrock
..With a stock converter and 3.55's that thing would sqeal for half a block even though everyone is convinced the old Torker is a waste of money....it pulled hard start to finish!

Actually, the original Torker is ok. It's the Torker II that's the POS.

-
Back