CARB. DATE CODES

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Can anyone give me some insight as to how carb. date codes relate to car build dates? Obviously the carb. has to be dated "Pre" build date, but by how much? Thanks.

Hi Folks

Can anyone give me some insight as to how carb. date codes relate to car build dates? Obviously the carb. has to be dated "Pre" build date, but by how much? Thanks.
What I've seen over the year is for 1963 to 1966 A-body. It seems to be one to six month prior assembly date but most of them one to three month before.

Hi Folks

Wouldn't it be better to compare the carb date to the engine assembly date instead of the car scheduled date?

I have posted here before. Had a new tag made for my car. Take the date code for my AFB= E8. The "8" is 1968. The "E"= is the month of the year (A=Jan., B=Feb., C=Mar., D=Apr., E=May). So my date code would translate to May, 1968. Build date for my car is late May, 1968, making a very late year build. There is no knowledge or consistency in determining how soon the new carb could be installed or how long it might have sat on the shelf. The date code was stamped by the manufacturer not by Chrysler. Hope this helps.

I've got a K0 carb, and an April '71 vehicle build date. Was wondering if this would be correct for this. The carb is a 1971 one year only Thermoquad.

In September of 1970 through June of 1971 they were producing 1971 cars.
For model year 1965 they started the production in first week of August 1964 and ended it in last week of July 1965. Do you know when they changed those periods?

Those months cited are "approximate". Actual dates for plant closure and re-opening varied each year depending on model demand, re-tooling time needed, parts availability. I don't think there where any specific dates announced consistantly each year. Those months are a good "ballpark" for many years. To find a car built in July would be rare but not impossible. At the dealership the new cars would arrive last week of August or early September.

-
Back