carb diaGONSIS??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
/6 72 duster, been runnin great, had rebuilt 1 bbl holley when I got it,... goin up pretty steep hill it started cutting out, like not getting enough gas, tank is full, pretty new fuel pump, fuel filler replaced not long ago, runs fine on level, ... diagnosis please!! thanks

Try dropping the float level a little.
I suspect it may be overfueling on a hill instead of going lean.

pull the economizer valves (on top with three screws in a triangle) and look in to see where the float level is. it should be above the main jet but below the opening that the PV arm plugs(the top part not the bottom ones)

i have a pic i'll have to find

you want the level above the main jet (brass) and the hole that the little black point goes into (the single, not double)

Attachments

• DSCN2761.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 295
  • DSCN2762.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSCN2765.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 119
To add to above, if the fuel level is high and it starts running rich, the engine would "die quietly", i.e. slow way down before dying without much shaking. You would also see a plume of black smoke in the exhaust. When an engine dies from too lean, it usually runs rough (missing) and often back-fires or pops in the intake.

To add to above, if the fuel level is high and it starts running rich, the engine would "die quietly", i.e. slow way down before dying without much shaking. You would also see a plume of black smoke in the exhaust. When an engine dies from too lean, it usually runs rough (missing) and often back-fires or pops in the intake.

when i had it just a little to high it started sucking fuel thru that hole and out the booster.

when i had it just a little to high it started sucking fuel thru that hole and out the booster.

thanks for the info. I opened it up, float looks to be correct. havn't had time to run it down the road, will take it off before long and clean it. thanks again.

-
Back