Carb dumping fuel!

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Hey guys! So got some luck today and broke down in front of my house rather than on the four hour drive I had yesterday lol. Anyways, pulling up to my house my car just died. Had to put the pedal to the floor and crank it for about 30 sec just for it to get enough air to start. Once started it would idle fine for about a minute tops and then die out again unless you revved it up a bit to keep it alive. Took the air cleaner off and the carb was just dumping fuel. I thought the float just sank but while I was unhooking the the carb, had some fuel dripping out of the PCV inlet (didn't get down the line at all luckily) and im pretty sure there was some fueling coming up out of the plunger on the top of the carb for the secondaries. Was I right and the float just sank or did this thing just blow itself or something? This is Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb by the way.

Also its the stock fuel pump so I'd be amazed if this was a "too much fuel psi" issue

Check for dirt in the needle/seat assembly, take float off and shake to see if it has gas in it. No good if it does.

Needle and seat got dirt. Hit the fuel inlet with a couple shots of air.

You shouldn't have any fuel coming out the PCV port. That sounds like an internal leak.

You may need to brake it down and toss a kit in it.

It's also a posibility that the seat isn't tight in the carb body, but you should notice that when you open it to clean it out.

Yeah, I'm just gonna buy a kit and give it a good once over, just wanted to check that it was wasn't a major failure. thanks guys!

no not particularly, the primary venturi's gaskets didnt come out clean, a bit broken down. i did check the pcv again a couple times and it was nice clean

-
Back