Carb dumping fuel

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
I have a 340 in my 70 swinger. I just put a new fuel sending unit on and a new fuel pump (edelbrock performer) The car started and ran fine, everything working great. I got it up to temp and shut it down. I started and let come up to temp a few times (testing new radiator and fan) All was good.

Started and pulled it back into the garage and it all of sudden started to stumble and then died. I could hear fuel percolating, and when I looked in the edelbrock thunder avs carb it was just flooding itself. The only way to get it to stop was to open the throttle.

The car wouldn't start again unless I held it at WOT and turned it over. It did the same thing upon restart.

What is causing it to dump fuel like that? Did something get stuck in the needle and seat?

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Did something get stuck in the needle and seat?
Sorry for the lengthy post.

Possibly ^^^^^.

Not a lengthy post at all.....good info!

The Eddy pumps should be around 6lbs, so I doubt that's the issue. You might need a "thicker" base gasket to insulate the carb a little more? The only other thing I can come up with would be tank venting...as in building too much pressure?

Lots of guys here have had similar issues, and I'm sure some of them can give you some recent, hands on advise.

Good Luck getting it figured out. That should be a great carb for your combo.

Possibly ^^^^^.

Not a lengthy post at all.....good info!

The Eddy pumps should be around 6lbs, so I doubt that's the issue. You might need a "thicker" base gasket to insulate the carb a little more? The only other thing I can come up with would be tank venting...as in building too much pressure?

Lots of guys here have had similar issues, and I'm sure some of them can give you some recent, hands on advise.

Good Luck getting it figured out. That should be a great carb for your combo.

Thanks for the reply. A few things did change:

1. New fuel sender
2. New fuel pump
3. New fuel line & filter

The edelbrock carb is practically brand new, less than 500 miles. This has never happened before, so I bet something got in the lines, possibly when swapping the fuel sender. I don't know how that tank is vented, but I did notice that it has an non vented gas cap.

There was likely a small piece of crap that got in the system when you did all the work, or in the new parts, easy enuff to happen,, the crap is likely stuck in the needle/seat, causing it to flood..

You may have to pull the top off the carb,, and clean seats as nec..

There was likely a small piece of crap that got in the system when you did all the work, or in the new parts, easy enuff to happen,, the crap is likely stuck in the needle/seat, causing it to flood..

That is what I am thinking. I have never taken an edelbrock carb apart, but have done a holley. The edelbrock manual also said : Ensure fuel line is not located too close to heat sources such as the exhaust or block, causing expanding fuel to be forced past the needle and seat.

I did change my fuel line, but I went from all rubber line to a braided line with a metal fuel filter as opposed to the plastic one. I do have a spacer under the carb also. I will check the needle & seat first and recheck.

The really odd thing was that it didn't happen right away, but happened after about 3 heat cycles (start up to temp and shut down)

Sometimes it will wash through...

Other times, a few taps with a screwdriver handle or hammer will jar it loose...

Or go in there and look to make sure that the needle and seat are clean and no dirt got in there.

-
Back