Carb for a 65 273

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
Looking for a carb, just wondering what CFM rating you guys would suggest for a 273. It'll be getting a new exhaust system and intake obviously, and will eventually be mildly cammed. I was thinking around 600cfm? But I don't know.

500 cfm 4 barrel should be fine on a 273, 600 cfm will work, I think the stock commando carb was only around 400 CFM

I had a 273 with 4 barrel pistons, headers with 2 1/2" exhaust, dual point distributor, Offenhauser single plane manifold, windage tray, a street hemi profile cam & a 4 speed. Switched from a 600 cfm Carter carb to a 3310 Holley my brother had & it was like going to a steeper set of gears. The change was UNBELIEVABLE! At the time the 3310 was rated at 780 cfm & everything I read said it was way too much carb but nobody that took a ride with me would've agreed. That engine was a screamer.

Alot depends on the engines build and the stall converters rating and rear gears.

In otherwords, what are you doin/shooting for in what kind of vehicle?

I'm using a Edelbrock Performer 600CFM stock intake,stock heads. bit of a cam. Works perfect.

Build is gonna be pretty mild. Everything is stock right now, will get a new intake and replace exhaust/headers, eventually will mildly cam it. Just looking to improve performance and if possible efficiency as well (only 12mpg right now :X). Just a street car though no kinda racing or anything.

efficiency?

That is helped by high flow air cleaners
Better intakes
proper carb size and state of tune for mileage
(AKA slightly lean)
Well preped heads (Not ported, just well done)
Headers help and a great ignition. I have found that a MSD or equal like type ignition is an excellent mileage getter in our old rides.

Foot outta the rear two barrels and a high gear ratio help.

efficiency?

That is helped by high flow air cleaners
Better intakes
proper carb size and state of tune for mileage
(AKA slightly lean)
Well preped heads (Not ported, just well done)
Headers help and a great ignition. I have found that a MSD or equal like type ignition is an excellent mileage getter in our old rides.

Foot outta the rear two barrels and a high gear ratio help.

exactly how does one keep his/ her foot outta the rear two barrels:-D

I like to give myself a little wiggle room for future mods so I would look for something in the 600cfm range. Edelbrock or Holleys can be picked up used in good condition cheap all day long. The 1406 Eddy being set fairly lean in stock form may be a good match for your engine. Either brand has excellent aftermarket support too.

-
Back