carb for mini blower

-

slowdown

Reaction score
I just posted this in the fuel section and realized it may need to be in this section. Anyway, I am wondering about carb size, and type that mounts on top of one of those little superchargers like the weiand or BnM. I just got it off of ebay and have'nt ever had a supercharger before, but I've done a little reading on the subject. What I've come up with is it needs to be a boost carb and a boost ref fuel regulator. Size and type alludes me.
It's going on a 318 with a 4 inch crank rods and forged pistons. The guys says it's a 174 but he's not sure and neither am I. I thought it looked like one of those 144's but I am not sure, I don't know how to tell the differance. Anyway he said he had it on a 340 with a 850 carb but who knows for sure. He said the pully set up gave him 5 lbs of boost, which would work for me right now. I did some checking on the web with these little blowers, what I found was 9.5 comp 5 lbs boost will work. I guess we'll see, I still have'nt got a dial back igniton box yet but have one in the plan, just not yet.
Theres a return policy if it does'nt perform as he says it will but I think it's like 14 days, so i gotta get this thing on and running to try it out. Any input would help. Thanks

Is this a street or strip application?
Holley has boost referenced power valves on their blower carbs.
For a street/ strip application use Holley 80573S it has a choke. $600
For a wild street and intense strip application use the Holley HP 80576S $689 (HP carbs are for an all out performance engine/application) choke horn milled off
Both are 750CFM

This is not a blow thru centrifugal system, so you do not need a blow thru carb and dont use a boost referenced fuel regulator.

Set the total timing to 28° for initial tuning

Is this a street or strip application?
Holley has boost referenced power valves on their blower carbs.
For a street/ strip application use Holley 80573S it has a choke. $600
For a wild street and intense strip application use the Holley HP 80576S $689 (HP carbs are for an all out performance engine/application) choke horn milled off
Both are 750CFM

This is not a blow thru centrifugal system, so you do not need a blow thru carb and dont use a boost referenced fuel regulator.

Set the total timing to 28° for initial tuning
Thanks again. Setting the total at 28 is some good info for me as I was unsure where to start. So that really helps me out. I don't plan on trying for big hp power just always wanted one of these little superchargers. But I have read boost is addictive, and more seems to always be wanted. But with my compression I would be looking at a methenal injection or snow kit to move up in boost.
I will be happy to just get it up and running without problems and hopefully not have to take to a shop to get it tuned again. Once again thank you.

The 144 is 12.81" long and has a 9.71" bolt pattern.
The 162 is 13.91" long and has a 10.81" bolt pattern.
The 174 is 14.62" long and has a 11.51" bolt pattern.

All are 5.92" high.

You can boost reference any holley.
Here is a link.
I am using a 750 vac secondary on my brand x build.
Start with the timing around 16 initial and 28 max would be a good starting point.
Make damn sure you don't lean the motor out, buy a good wide band meter, and a good fuel pump.

http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/modifycarb.html

You can boost reference any holley.
Here is a link.
I am using a 750 vac secondary on my brand x build.
Start with the timing around 16 initial and 28 max would be a good starting point.
Make damn sure you don't lean the motor out, buy a good wide band meter, and a good fuel pump.

http://www.motorsportsvillage.com/modifycarb.html
Thanks, I did get the boost ref holley 750 double pumper. I just got my car out today for the first time after a couple of delays, but summit fixed them right away. I don't know how much boost I have, but man this thing is super peppy. And I love the whine it makes. I do have a boost gauge but it does'nt read. I don't know maybe I'm not getting enough boost to register. But theres definetly boost. Some day I will figure out just how much. And go from there.

Cool "Rootes boost referenced" carb link, as a draw through and a blow through are going to be different. Here is a old Blow through reference just for reference. Sorry bout the broken links, not my site. http://vs57.y-block.info/carb.htm

Cool "Rootes boost referenced" carb link, as a draw through and a blow through are going to be different. Here is a old Blow through reference just for reference. Sorry bout the broken links, not my site. http://vs57.y-block.info/carb.htm
Manifold referenced power valve. I went through 2 of them, apperantly Holley is letting some bad ones slip by. My first one the squirter would only squirt through one hole on the drivers side. I pulled it out and it was only drilled through one hole. They come wet flow tested, and I assume qc'd but still got missed. Summit just sent me a new carb to try again, and and seems to be working fine. I had to down jet but other then that it's a nice carb. I have my fingers crossed.

-
Back