Carb gurus: Dies going down hill. Floats?

-

64physhy

Reaction score
Been trying for 3 weeks now to get this engine running right, but having carb issues, I think. The carb is a Proform 750. Took it for a drive today, and first of all, when I first start it, if I let it drop below around 1500 RPM, it dies until it warms up (about 5 min), but the weather is mid 70's/low 80's, so shouldn't really be so cold blooded. Once it gets going an I drive it, it tries to die when I go down a hill. I have the floats so fuel just barely trickles from the plug. I kind of think the front float keeps coming un-adjusted, because after I had it set the first time, I checked it a few days later and fuel gushed from the hole, so I re-adjusted it. And ideas?

possible leaking float,it may be filling with fuel and getting heavier.or could be dirt in the needle/seat.as for the cold-bloodedness not sure,vac leak?

My 73 Dart Sport 340 is stubborn when I first fire it up,takes 5 mins also to idle even when it,s warm out?My 66 Dart with the 408(410)with the AED 850HO dp fires and idles perfect.It,s a brand new carb and I,m very pleased with it.Is this Proform on your new stroker engine?Maybe time for a rebuild or new carb?I wouldn,t want to be screwing with the carb on a new engine,way to much money in mine to be washing the bearings.

Does it die if you do a burnout and then apply the brakes? Slosh and die is often a sign of low fuel volume and could indicate low fuel bowl levels

Heres what i would do.Replace the needle and seat with one thats a bit bigger,as it will allow for smoother fuel flow and fill the bowl faster. Then make sure your fuel float is at the lowest possible setting that the engine will still idle on. This will hlep prevent rich idle. You have to remember that the weight of the fuel in the bowl is just as important as just the weight can push more fuel out he idle circuit.Replace the float with a new one and get a gasket/rebuild kit for the carb

Check the throttle shafts for play as well.

-
Back