Carb Hysteria

-

mopardude76

Reaction score
I have a '76 Dart Sport with the 225 slant six, (duh...why would I post here if I didn't?). I have the Holley 1945 1 Bbl and it is shot. I want to replace it and get rid of all the smog crap but don't know enough about it to decide which other stock carb to use until I can get the new engine finished. Is the Carter BBS a decent one to use just to get the car moveable while in the restoration process? Other than eliminating all the smog crap is there anything that prohibits me using an earlier model year carb? Are all the intakes (stock with the exception of the hyperpak of course) the same? I can probably track one down locally that I can throw a kit into if it's a decent temp. option. Thanks for any advice in advance...mopardude76

Sorry I can't help you mate. And if you don't get a FABO reply just PM SlantSixDan. I'm sure that he won't mind , he's a champ and will know the answers to your ???'s

Just offering you the heads up if no one else chimes in.
Good luck with the carby
Gary

Sorry I can't help you mate. And if you don't get a FABO reply just PM SlantSixDan. I'm sure that he won't mind , he's a champ and will know the answers to your ???'s

Just offering you the heads up if no one else chimes in.
Good luck with the carby
Gary

Yup, what he said...

Thanks...I'll see what gets posted for a couple days and then check with SlantSixDan. I'm trying to come up with a cheap/free Carter now. The Holley on the car has set for several years and I'm sure it's full of varnish.

I have the Carter BBS on my 64 slant and like it. It is very similar to the venerable Carter BBD used on SB's for years. I had many Holley 1920's on my 69 slant and they all idled like crap until the last one I got which made it run unbelievably great.

Whether you must keep the smog stuff depends on your state. In CA, they no longer do an inspection even when selling a car (at least my models), so MN is probably the same. I don't think that necessitates changing intake or exhaust. You can get an EGR block-off plate for your intake on ebay ($20?). If you have the aluminum intake that isn't the e-beam welded one (ugly, porous bead on top edge), PM me if you want to get rid of it if you go Hyperpak. I would like one for my future EFI idea.

Ive tried 2 bbs and 2 1920 then got a 1945 and was able to get it to run really good and perform well. i think i steped up the jets but cant remember what size but they share the jets with the 4150s and 4160. I couldnt find jets for the bbs and couldnt lean it out. the 1920s leaked bad.

-
Back