carb/idle

-

scampy72

Reaction score
ok so im still having the problem where my car will lose idle then stall if i stop or if i just let it idle for a while. i tried carb cleaner and when i spray it on the throat like the instructions say to do the idle dive reaaaallll low. is this a normal thing to happen when using carb cleaner?

im going to rebuild the carb in a few weeks, i just have to wait for someone to pick up a float for me in north carolina when they go to visit my sister. im hoping the rebuild will make this go away as i have already replaced all vaccuum lines and the pcv valve.

any other suggestions?

on the up side my brakes now work perfectly.

Yes, it's normal for the idle to drop almost to the point of stalling. I usually feather the throttle a little when using it.

i actually had a thread on here not too long ago abut that, and surprisingly no one could help. where are the mixture screws?

well I dont know what carb you have but will try to help. If it is a holley, they are on the side of the metering block. towards the front and on each side of the carb. the metering block is located behind the fuel bowl and in front of the main body of the carb, the screws are fairly small and as is common to most carbs, clockwise is lean and counterclockwise is rich. Most other types and makes of carbs, the metering screws are in the front of the carb down low on the base plate. Some times they are very apparantly located and sometimes you got to look close to see them but usually not too hard. All this info goes out the window if this is a slant six were talkin about here cause they have one barrels and the mixture screw location varies a bit. Its still down low on the bas of the carb but maybe in a different orientation than to the fron of the vehicle.

obviuosly a 2bbl slant will have the screws located on the front of the carb (with stock 2 bbls).

thanks for the info. sorry i forgot top mention it is a slant six with a holley one barrell ill look for it tomorrow. i got too much stuff goin on today to do it.

thanks again
-marc

ok just realized my fuel filter was filthy. got a new one that i am about to put on but was wondering if this coulod be my cause

i actually had a thread on here not too long ago abut that, and surprisingly no one could help. where are the mixture screws?

You need to download yourself a shop manual.

This thread here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

This shot is actually out of the 70 manual. Turns out the photos in the 72 manual do not show the mixture screw

1zq4pzo.jpg

Below is photo out of 72 manual:

28wm93n.jpg

ok new problem i hink i was tinkering around the engine the other day and saw that there appears to be a small pin hole in the top of the fuel bowl.....:cwm10:

what does this mean??? is it supposed to be there? it is right in front of the top screw.

ok come on guys..... pin hole in the fuel bowl. what do i need to do??? do i HAVE to replace it? is it un consequential?

-
Back