carb problem?

-
The fuel smell in the oil is from the cylinder that has a cracked or partially held open intake valve.
If the cylinder does not have the abilty to compress fuel to burn it completely, the unburned fuel bypasses the rings and ends up in the oil.

Solid rockers right?

Burned, cracked or overtight intake valve.

Sounds like a lean backfire. With the engine shut off and the air cleaner removed and wearing safety glasses, with your haz mat suit on, fire extinguisher within reach, ambulance crew on the scene, EPA anents on hand, look down the throat of the carb and push the accelerator. Do you see a stream of gas shooting into each front barrel? If not the accelerator pump has died. Could be just gummed up from setting. Fuel turns to varnish like gunk when it evaporates. Most likely needs taken off, taken apart, cleaned good and new gaskets installed. If it is indeed backfiring through the carb it could catch on fire if driven like that.

There Tracy. I fixed it for you.

Your lean on the primary circuit my 440 was doing the same thing I jetted up and it went away. Normal driving is good then u floor it and the carb starts spitting back and wearily moves right?

Your lean on the primary circuit my 440 was doing the same thing I jetted up and it went away. Normal driving is good then u floor it and the carb starts spitting back and wearily moves right?

exactly...otherwise runs fine...I've tried adjusting the carb..if the screws are set as far as lean as they'll go...the popping isn't as bad...but still there.

The fuel smell in the oil is from the cylinder that has a cracked or partially held open intake valve.
If the cylinder does not have the abilty to compress fuel to burn it completely, the unburned fuel bypasses the rings and ends up in the oil.

Solid rockers right?

Burned, cracked or overtight intake valve.[/QUOT

I'll check those today.

you don't think the safety glasses is a slight overkill? :evil3:

Funny you quoted me when you asked that. Since I wear an artificial eye, NO. I don't think safety glasses are an overkill. Not one bit. The haz mat team mightta been pushin it. :)

Funny you quoted me when you asked that. Since I wear an artificial eye, NO. I don't think safety glasses are an overkill. Not one bit. The haz mat team mightta been pushin it. :)
Takes too long to assemble the hazmat team....could some drunken relatives work ok? Sorry about the eye thing....now I have to get my foot out of my mouth:)

you don't think the safety glasses is a slight overkill? :evil3:

No I didn't. The reason I don't is when I was a kid I looked down the barrel of a carb to check the accelerator pump and when I hit the throttle the darn things squirted back at me. Would have hit me in the eyes if I weren't wearing glasses. Having only 1 good eye I thought it was worth mentioning. I didn't mean to make it sound like you are dumb by any means. I just take safety very serious.

may have found the problem. I had a chance to pull the valve covers today and take a better look at what's going on...everyone of the rockers is set at a different clearance.....from really loose to really tight. Could someone let me know what the proper clearance should be so i can adjust them properly and then re-time...fingers crossed it will fix the prob.

You need to know what cam it is to look it up to see what they say to set the lash at.

BTW: look at the adjusters closely and see if they're all screwed in about the same or not. If they are that's not a good sign because there shouldn't be much difference in the settings from one to the other.

they don't seem to be screwed in all the same...and I don't know what cam is in it....so is there a general setting that I could use for the time being?

of the dozen or so solid cams i have used the settings were between 0.23 and 0.30 thou cold set them at 0.30 and try a test if it is to noisy tighten them up a bit remember a little loose is better than a little tight

.020 is 'bout right. exhaust gets a little more when your all set up. .030 is a good starting point, nice and loud but safe.

You might have just gotten really lucky.
Sounded like a bad valve to me, but apparently just held open by a tight rocker it sounds like now.
You could end up adjusting those rockers and not have a problem at all.

may have found the problem. I had a chance to pull the valve covers today and take a better look at what's going on...everyone of the rockers is set at a different clearance.....from really loose to really tight. Could someone let me know what the proper clearance should be so i can adjust them properly and then re-time...fingers crossed it will fix the prob.

-
Back