Carb Spacers...

-

nitronut

Reaction score
I have a 360 small block with a 600cfm Edelbrock Performer carb (square bore) and an Edelbrock Performer (spread bore) intake manifold. No performance issues. Decent throttle response and runs good. Problem is I have hard start up issues when the motor's hot and want to put a carb spacer between the carb and manifold to help keep the carb cooler. I've been told a wood spacer is the best for insulating heat and a square bore spacer will fit. (That's all I see available anyway). I'm thinking 1/2 inch as I'm not sure a 1 inch will give me hood clearance. Any experience / opinions on the difference of an open, divided or 4 hole spacer? Don't want to lose any low end torque. Not drag racing the car, just fun on the street. Also been told that using a carb spacer I might need to change carb jets. Thanks for any imput.

MP1Z0204.jpg

View attachment 1715455920

View attachment 1715455921

We’ve had good results with the phenolic spacers (material feels like a rubbery composite plastic). They’re great for heat resistance and you can sometimes find adapter style ones that go from square to spread bore.

We’ve had good results with the phenolic spacers (material feels like a rubbery composite plastic). They’re great for heat resistance and you can sometimes find adapter style ones that go from square to spread bore.
Thank You!

now only if they could make insulating carb studs !!! and get rid of the last source of heat transfer from the intake:icon_fU:

If you ever have your header off Wrap them! that will help as well.
Another trick, until you get the headers Wrapped. Get a 3/8 rubber hose. split it down the middle and slide it over the fuel line, on the fire wall, to keep the headers from boiling the fuel right there.

alu foil over that, will help a lot

EDIT the frame rail next to the header not the fire wall.

Last edited:
I used this one from Edelbrock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062YBPM/?tag=joeychgo-20

If I'd had more room, I would have gone with a thicker one, but this is about 5/16" thick, cheap, and does the job.
Edelbrock makes a slightly thicker one IIRC.
Gzig5 gave you the correct answer and the move you should make. Regardless, this has solved 95% of all my carb heat issues. Hard start, fuel evaporation and heat soak issues.
going this route

An expensive waste. Seldom needed. Works very well though. Very good in racing environment applications.

Phenolic resin is NOT a rubbery substance.
Phenolic resin is hard and stiff. It has the most minimal bending, twisting abilities. It is often called plastic. As in TQ carb center section plastic.

If you ever have your header off Wrap them! that will help as well.
Another trick, until you get the headers Wrapped. Get a 3/8 rubber hose. split it down the middle and slide it over the fuel line, on the fire wall, to keep the headers from boiling the fuel right there.

alu foil over that, will help a lot

EDIT the frame rail next to the header not the fire wall.
Good advice and the second step I would take. I would consider this an extreme measure and I have had to go there, Unbelievably so! But it happens.... LOL!!!!

As mentioned Edelbrock 9266.
Get it, bolt it on, and don't look back.

PS: You might have to get a drop base air cleaner bottom.
Check your hood clearance before closing your hood.
Nice engine bay to.

009266_v1_2 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Edelbrock makes a slightly thicker one IIRC.
Gzig5 gave you the correct answer and the move you should make. Regardless, this has solved 95% of all my carb heat issues. Hard start, fuel evaporation and heat soak issues.

An expensive waste. Seldom needed. Works very well though. Very good in racing environment applications.

Phenolic resin is NOT a rubbery substance.
Phenolic resin is hard and stiff. It has the most minimal bending, twisting abilities. It is often called plastic. As in TQ carb center section plastic.

Good advice and the second step I would take. I would consider this an extreme measure and I have had to go there, Unbelievably so! But it happens.... LOL!!!!
Thank You!

-
Back