carb spacers???

-

lebdog74

Reaction score
i have a 74 duster 318. edelbrock carb/intake setup. after staarting and running it for awhile if i shut it off and restart within a few minutes most time it will fire right up. but if it sets much longer than that i have to crank it and crank it pump the throttle and sometimes choke it. have been told a spacer between the carb and intake would solve the problem. but not sure of this. they offer 1" and 2". open hole and 4 hole spacers. not sure which one if indeed this is the problem. also have notice the fuel filter will empty if it sets awhile. any help would be great thanks

...........Having to choke it means no fuel, check all lines, and see if the filter is plugging up, if good, replace fuel pump.........ofcourse u could have crap in the tank...........kim.........

my 1406 eddy carb...if it set for more then a day or two the gas is evaporating...and has to be cranked for a few minutes to start....

just a combo of todays gas and eddy carb with the acelerator pump well above the bottom of the bowl...

I had the same problem. My fuel pump diaphram went bad allowing the fuel to run back out of the carb and into the oil. Try a fuel pump. Fixed mine

It sounds like vapor lock. Mine was doing the same thing last summer. It is a combination of the heat, today's gas evaporates faster due to all the additives. I added a 1/2" wood spacer under my 1406. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...catalogId=10002&N=4294966761+4294966876&Nty=0
It definitely helped. I also replaced the fuel pump with a new stock mechanical pump. You should heat wrap as much of the fuel lines as you can get to, make sure your tank vent is not plugged & replace the fuel filter if it has been a while. I am still fighting with this but it has got better. I may end up having to go with an electric fuel pump if I can't fix it. The Edelbrock carbs also do not like much more than 5.5-6 psi of fuel pressure but I doubt if a stock pump pushes more than that, I have not added a pressure gauge yet. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

I would say the fuel is boiling out. Run it until it's hot and then shut it down.If you can hear sizzling sounds coming from the inside of the carb,it's heat soaking into the eddie carb and boiling out the fuel. I had big problems with my eddie doing this on hot days. I ended up using a double stack of thick 1/4" carb gaskets,one under a spacer and another under the carb. I suppose you could make a heat shield too...:sign7:

I dont think the eddies have provision for bowl venting either.

It's one of the reasons I like tq's!

If it was just heat causing the problem, a carb spacer (black poly, not aluminum) will solve your problem.

I've found a carb spacer works nicely to cool the carb/gas with or without the problem you mention........I wouldn't be without one.....1/2" works fine for most applications.

Wood or plastic will work. They also sell large sheet aluminum heat shields that go between the carb and intake toblock heat rising off the engine. This with a 1/2 wood or plastic spacer is going to be the best.

With a dual plane manifold you would want a 4 hole spacer.

A 1/2 wood took care of the hard hot starting on my car.

So park it with t he hood open to see if it makes a difference. If this helps you have a heat-soak problem. The 1406 I had on my Wagoneer suffered badly until I put an isolator under it. An electric fuel pump helped a lot as well.

We've gotten spoiled with fuel injection in our modern rides and forgotten how miserable carbs were. Also, current gas like E10 boils at a lower temp. Not an issue with high pressure EFI, but hot restarts with carbs can be a pain.

-
Back