Carbon Fiber Dashpad

-

blue missile

Reaction score
Here is the step by step on the dashpad. I thought about buying a new one but this was just too easy.
1.I first took off the vynal and was going to bag carbon on the rubber foam but it had dissintegrated too badly so I removed it from the steel core.

2.I shaped an extruded foam piece to replace the original and used expanding foam for the ends. Much easier than trying to shape styro to the ends. Either foam is a good enough substrate.

3.I vacuum bagged the first layer of carbon on the core to give me something to fill and shape to the final desired shape.

4.After filling and shaping to the desired shape, I bagged a final layer of carbon on the core. The blue cloth is the peelply and the white is the bleeder cloth.When it was cured I sanded and sealed it with a final coate of epoxy.

I hope this helps or inspires yall
Andrew

dashpad#1.jpg

dashpad#3.jpg

dashpad#4.jpg

dashpad#5.jpg

dashpad#7.jpg

dashpad#8.jpg

dashpad#9.jpg

dashpad#10.jpg

dashpad#12.jpg

Not a big fan of CF in old cars but thats some nice work. I would wonder about reflection off the windshield with the gloss finish.

:glasses9:1968:
good observation,
I will spray it with satin laquer after it has had a few days to cure. I did the same thing with the package tray. I understand the oversion to CF by some, but I have a Composites buisness, and I am not just building an old car by the time its done yall will be calling it a space ship:-D
It has to be at least ten times better than the origional,
'SEE THE BIRTH OF THE BLUE MISSILE IN RESTORATIONS'
Andrew

Um...I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but wasn't the original purpose of the dash "pad" to be a way to cushion the blow in case of an accident?

When I was five, the car I was in was rear-ended at a stop light. I was in the backseat (this was in the days before carseats, or even mandatory seatbelts for kids), and landed face first on the dash. That dashpad had a clear imprint of my teeth--dentist could have used it for a denture model! If that dash pad had been carbon fiber, I would have needed those dentures.

Fish,
You are quite correct. the original intent of the pad was to cushion impacts. As I have said tis is not the restoration of an old car. Bothe front seats will be equiped with self adjusting four point seat belt systems. The car will have as well a roll cage. It will also have an electric fire supression system and the passengers compartment will have a fire envelope as its surronud. Safety is the highest concern in building this vehicle.
Thanks for the complements.
Andrew

how much would you want for that dash pad in cf since i'm trying to include cf in my duster and dont have a vaccum system?

what all dose it take to do carbon fiber? i want to do it in my car but like to do this kinda stuff my self. this and the package tray that you made look very good and would love them in my car lol

WOAH.... I'm impressed...... I'm also going with the four point harness and mild roll cage... Two buddies and I built a full racing cage in a Duster for dirt track use back in 03'.....

How much would it cost if I wanted to proposition you for one of those beauties?

I know these are not the best pics, the sun was comming in through thw front window. I will have to do a tiny bit of trimming at each end for a very snug fit but it is what it is.
Andrew

dashpad 16.jpg

dashpad 18.jpg

dashpad 17.jpg

AMAZING! I love it! I don't know how I missed this thread! So if you don't mind me asking.. What do you use for the bags? I have everything figured out but them.

3 mil plastic and Tacky tape, both available at your local Home Depot.
By the way there are threads on carbon interior panels and a carbon package tray here as well.
Andrew

No, it's a film that is put on water and the part is dipped in and dried and a clear coat applied.

A good idea to add some protection to the carbon fiber is lay one layer of plain weave 120 fiberglass down over the carbon in the final vacuum bag. You wont even know its there because it comes out clear.

K,
120 fiberglass, has no meaning.
I do use 1oz plain weave as a surfacing veil. Other than that the carbon needs no protection, it is not susceptible to UV light, only the matrix (resin) is. After that a coat of UV stable clear is what is needed.
Andrew

120 is a style of fiberglass i think thats the AMS number. Sorry but it was a satin weave not a plain my mistake. You right it really doesnt matter, just a thin glass. Sorry if you thought I meant add the fiberglass for UV protection, I just meant to add it for durability. We add it to aircraft parts in high traffic areas such as floor boards to protect them. A veil is doing the same thing. You work in composite shop?

I own a composites company.
We do VARTM ( vacuum assisted resin transfer molding) Marine parts.
Since I have alot of carbon around the shop, all of the interior of the car will be carbon.
Andrew
AMS?

-
Back