carbs

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
How do i know weither i need an electric choke or a manual?

is manual when it does it as the motor warms up it slowly closes on its own???
or is manual when you have to do it personally, like my old 88 isuzu had this cable i had to do it with...

I'm pretty sure that manual chokes are the ones that you have to do with the lever or whatever. Automatic chokes are attached to the intake manifold by a little coil that expands when it heats and opens up the choke and electric chokes are control by some sort of electronic thing that opens up at the right time. I'm like 90% sure on these, so maybe you should wait for someone with more experience to anser? :)

Manual wil have the push/pull lever. Elesctric is electric. Goes on and off by itself.

Allow me to add to this with some pictures.

Of the carb choices out there for you, when you drive the street, weather it's once in awhile or everyday, you'll want an elcetric choke. I see them coming in different configurations. The first one being a housing, allway black in color and round on the passenger side of the carb. Picture #2.
All you need to do is add a single wire from a 12 volt source thats "ON" when the key is also in the "ON" position and off when the key is off.

The other way it's done is in combo with a bi-metal spring, in MoPars case, inside a well cast into the manifold. A electric assist is added sometimes. You can see it alittle in the overhead shot, picture #1.
The choke well spring has a arm that comes up and mounts to the carb, right where the linkage from the choke pull off meets the piviot point. Where the choke plates rod runs through the body to the "Outside" of the carb.

A full manual choke carb has a cable where you regulate the opening.

There is no performance gain in a manual choke carb. Your saving a few bucks in trade for ease of operation.

100_0795.JPG

100_0779.JPG

so any car can have an electric choke if wanted.
and that was my concern.. with mopars and our manifold heated chokes.. can i chang over to an electric and make it look cleaner?

thanks fish...

Cerwin

If I have any clue what I'm talking about (and if not, I'm sure that I'll be corrected by those who really do know), there are two type of chokes..... manual and automatic. A manual choke has a cable that you access from the drivers seat - like in real old-time vehicles.

An automatic choke does it's own thing...... BUT, there are two types of automatic chokes - mechanical and electric.

I recently changed the setup on my '65 Barracuda - from the original cast iron intake manifold and the crappy old 2 barrel carb - to a vintage Edelbrock DB3 aluminum intake manifold and a new Edelbrock 4 barrel carb. I did this primarily for "looks" - and not necessarily for performance.

Anyway, the vintage aluminum manifold didn't have a heat riser gizmo for a mechanical automatic choke, so I opted to get a 4 barrel that had an electric automatic choke. The only hitch, as pointed out in the above replies, is that the wiring MUST go to a conncection that is only "live" when the ignition key is on.

You may not have the issue that I did......... but get the electric choke anyway.

Cerwin said:
so any car can have an electric choke if wanted.
and that was my concern.. with mopars and our manifold heated chokes.. can i chang over to an electric and make it look cleaner?

Yes to both question.

PolarBear, Thats what I was trying to say in my last post. Your right on the money.

-
Back