Carburetor issue slant 6

-

First73Dart

Reaction score
So I am trying to start the dart. It ran for a minute and then started bogging and stalled. Couldn’t get it to start. So I popped the hood and it looks as if the carb is over flowing and the manifold is soaked. I got gas the other day and drove it around and it seemed fine after. What brand and where do you recommend getting a rebuilt carb from
Thanks

Sounds like the needle got gunked up and stuck. If it is a 1bbl slant six it is most likely a Holley 1920. Insted of buying a cheap china repo carb i suggest a rebuild for your current carb.

You need to make sure the complete fuel system is clean, before you rebuild of replace your carburetor, or you'll end up with the same problem.

May not even need to rebuild, just clean or replace the needle and seat. And if the gas tank is rusty crusty, it will muck up that $$$ brand new carb in short order.

Will save you a LOT of money in the long run to perform this basic kind of stuff yourself.

Here is a trick that might get you running again quickly. If you have rubber fuel line in the engine bay [ if not, go to the pick up at the tank ], pinch the tube closed with vice grips. Run the engine until it dies from no fuel. Lightly tap the n/s area of the carb. Remove vice grips & re-start. Often, any debris under the n/s gets washed away by the incoming fuel rush.

Mine did this after replacing the fuel line from the pump to the carb. There ended up being crud inside the new rubber fuel line that got stuck inside the needle and seat.

Good luck!

-
Back