Carburetor not getting any gas

-

CheeseRules01!

Reaction score
I tried to start my car yesterday after installing a new distributor. It wouldn't start and I found out the carburetor wasn't getting any gas. I replaced the fuel pump and found out that the pump wasn't the problem either. I took an air compressor and blew air through the line and blew out pieces of rubber hose. My fuel line is hardline so it's not my mainline falling apart. I replaced the piece of rubber hose at the gas tank because the old one was cracked on the inside. I also blew air through the tank and it wasn't clogged. I followed the fuel all the way from back to front and didn't see any kinks, holes, or leaks anywhere. I don't think the tank is low because when I blew air through the line it came out as a stream. Any ideas?

so you blew compressed air into the line in the opposite direction of normal flow?
Yeah that's when the pieces of rubber came out of the line. after the pieces of rubber came out, I blew more air into it and nothing else came out. The air coming out the end of the line was strong and consistent after the rubber came out.

Was it running before you replaced distributor?
Could be timing issue and not carb.
If you know ignition is not issue and is definitely a fuel prob. and your system is pumping fuel up to the carb from tank you have a carb issue.
No fuel to carb then tank, line or sending unit issue since you replaced pump.
Went thru issue with my Dart with starting and everything was brand new. Turned out to be a defective brand new edelbrock fuel pump. Arg.

humm... do you have a standard inline filter? if so, I think it is possible that it will need to be replaced (hell, I'd do it anyway) - they don't take to that kind of pressure coming at them backwards..

humm... do you have a standard inline filter? if so, I think it is possible that it will need to be replaced (hell, I'd do it anyway) - they don't take to that kind of pressure coming at them backwards..
No it's not the filter because I blew air through the mainline that connects to the fuel pump.

When I had an empty fuel line up to the gas tank, which you have now, after reassembling my 65 Barracuda with a new fuel tank I found that the fuel pump could not pull the fuel up and out of the tank when it was dry. I tried 3 different fuel pumps. I don't have a vacuum pump so I got a turkey Baster and after several pulls with it I got gas down to the end of the line and closed it off. After I put a fuel pump on it pumped gas to the carburetor.

Yes it was running before I replaced the distributor, so its not a timing problem. the carb is fine. I think either the line or sending unit might be it. even though the fuel pump is brand new, when I turned it over no gas came out of the pump. I had someone turn it over for me while i stuck my finger on the end of the metal line coming from the pump and I could feel it working.

When I had an empty fuel line up to the gas tank, which you have now, after reassembling my 65 Barracuda with a new fuel tank I found that the fuel pump could not pull the fuel up and out of the tank when it was dry. I tried 3 different fuel pumps. I don't have a vacuum pump so I got a turkey Baster and after several pulls with it I got gas down to the end of the line and closed it off. After I put a fuel pump on it pumped gas to the carburetor.
After I cleared out the line I blew air through the tank and line enough to where it came out of the pump. Just seconds after doing that I turned it over and the pump spat out gas twice and then quit after a few seconds. So my line wasn't dry, and the pump works, so I don't know what the problem is.

Try getting her going by just putting a line from fuel pump into a jug with fuel in it. That will show you problem is tank/line related.

Have you tried to pour some gas down the carb and crank it???

Do that about 3 times and the line should fill with fuel to the carb if it's not obstructed.....

I would also recommend pulling the sending unit and checking the filter/sock on the end of the pick-up tube... Those tend to disintegrate and plug the lines...

Yes it was running before I replaced the distributor, so its not a timing problem. the carb is fine. I think either the line or sending unit might be it. even though the fuel pump is brand new, when I turned it over no gas came out of the pump. I had someone turn it over for me while i stuck my finger on the end of the metal line coming from the pump and I could feel it working.

Troubleshooting 101. If you have a running vehicle before you change something and then it will not run. Double check what you changed.

Couple of things here. First, I am ONLY talking about the line between the gas tank and the mechanical fuel pump. If that is stock, or anywhere near stock, it should be hard line with 2 pieces of rubber line, one at the sending unit and 1 at the fuel pump. When was the last time you replaced these rubber lines? If they are years old 30r7 line there's a good chance the ethanol in our gas could be eating away at those rubber lines, thus the pieces of rubber you saw when blowing it out. @slantsixdan informed me of this years ago. You should replace those 2 pieces of rubber line as well as any other pieces of rubber fuel line between the pump and the carb with preferably 30r14 or 30r9 rubber line. Any auto parts store should have one of those. Supposedly as of a few years ago they've "redone" 30r7 to be compatible with today's fuels --- I personally don't trust it from the damage I've seen.

After you've fixed the rubber fuel line be sure to install a new in-line fuel filter between the pump and the carb.

Additionally if I were you I'd remove the sending unit and clean out the sock filter. If you have an OEM sending unit and the sock filter isn't present for whatever reason you can get a new one here:
Amazon.com: ACDelco 5651705 GM Original Equipment Fuel Pump Strainer: Automotive

Not trying to be harsh here......

1....Go to MyMopar.com and download a / some service manuals FREE. Some of them there came from guys on here

2.....Read the fuel section, I think it's section 9. There's a procedure in there for testing the fuel pump. You can ALSO adapt this to checking back at the tank..........maybe the fuel tube front to rear has holes

3....Buy one of those gauges variously known as a pressure, vacuum, pressure/ vacuum, fuel pump tester, or "that funny gauge you never bought at the parts store"

s-l300.jpg

4....If memory recalls, a healthy mechanical pump should develop somewhere around 12" Hg vacuum, which is PLENTY to pull fuel from a tank, if not obstructed or leaky.......Again.......read "the book" it's in there

Pretty easy to put enough gas in it so you can hear bubbles when you blow back through the line.:D

have you tried disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and seeing what kind of volume you do or don't get by cranking the engine while aiming the line into a gas can or a large pan? can you smell gas at the carb at all and/or see it squirting into the carb?

Sorry I haven't been replying lately guys, I've been busy. The car runs now, in fact I just got done doing the timing and everything on it. It turned out that even though I put a brand new fuel pump on the car, it didn't work. So I stuck an old Carter fuel pump on it and it actually worked. Now the only problem is that the Carter pump leaks so I'm gonna have to buy a new one. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys.

I don't think teflon tape likes gasoline. It might start leaking soon. Get some sealer for fuel lines, an fittings.

-
Back