Carburetor question

-

dmann66

Reaction score
I have a dart with a 340 that is said to be bore and stroked to a 416. I am installing a ld340 intake and want to get a Edelbrock avs carburetor. Question I have is would a 650 be good or should I go with the 800? This will be a street car with 3.55 gears. I was told it has a 540 lift cam and it has a auto with a reverse valve body if this all helps with advise. Thank for the time!

800 because a 650 is retarded to use on a 416 unless the rest of the build is or danm near OEM stock as a rock.

The lack of information is staggering!

A .540 cam lift is meaningless.

If you're SURE it's a stroker, 800. Somehow I'm not reading certainty.

@RustyRatRod is your crystal ball still broken?

I loaned mine out and haven’t seen it since it was being misused in one of the Lord of the Rings movies. I’m pretty pissed about it.

800 because a 650 is retarded to use on a 416 unless the rest of the build is or danm near OEM stock as a rock.

The lack of information is staggering!

A .540 cam lift is meaningless.
Understand the lack of information but it's all I know about this car! I'm just trying to ask for advice not get roasted!

Understand the lack of information but it's all I know about this car! I'm just trying to ask for advice not get roasted!
Roger that! The crystal ball comment was an inside joke between Rusty and the forum alone with the answer to what cam I should use with the answer being “750 ROLLER!”

On a more tech note…. The old 440’s used in Imperial’s and the like huge boats used a small 600 AFB . It should also be noted they didn’t have a secondary air valve flap ether. Also always Hwy. gears. Being dead stockers, they could consume the wide open carb because it was very small for the application.

Your said engine above could use a 750 if the cam is small & the car on the heavy side. An 800 would mathematically feed it to 6K and better and would need such cam with a decent street cam and heads.

If you find out more info, do so come around and spill the beans on it.

Apologies if I made you feel unwelcome or roasted. That my intent.

You should be able to tell pretty easily whether it's a 340 or 416 by pulling one spark plug and getting a little creative.

OH! By the way, I have a fairly hopped up 340, nothing special, stock rebuilt bottom end, 241@050 Hyd cam, CNC heads, RPM intake and headers, etc…. I’m using the 800 AVS Edelbrock. The stall and gear ratio are a bit steep for an everyday ride but it works really well.

@RustyRatRod is your crystal ball still broken?

I loaned mine out and haven’t seen it since it was being misused in one of the Lord of the Rings movies. I’m pretty pissed about it.
CRYSTAL BALL.jpg

I will get the 800! I know it has a cam and a 3200 stall. The current set up is a strip dominantor intake with a 750 brawler. It is really snappy but the intake is not for me or street driving nor am I a fan of holly carbs. I know others have told me in the past they are great when they get tuned. I have always been a Carter or Eddy fan and I like the avs line. Thanks for the input!

The engine's only gonna use what it wants and if the carb is too small it won't be enough...
When I first came on this forum 10 years ago I was putting a dual quad tunnel on a stock 318 with a cam and half Of the forum was calling for tar, and the other half was calling for feathers..... And then when I lost a full second on the drag strip.
You couldn't hear a pin drop around here....

Last edited:
-
Back