Cardboard glove box

-

supertruck

Unretired Old Fart stock car racer
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this for anyone considering the Classic Industries cardboard glove box for A bodies. My '73 Sport project did not have a glove box. I'm at the point on the interior where I'm ready to install one and ordered it from Classic. My car is a factory AC, don't know if it matters or not. The cardboard glove box does not fit. It is so deep that the back of the box fouls the back side of the heater/AC box. Again, don't know if it's AC specific or not. The lower front edge of the box has a tab on each end that fits under the dash lip and lines up with the two bolt holes there. Because of the heater/AC box foul, these tabs are pushed so far forward that there is no way to line the holes up with the dash, in fact the tabs bend double. Also, because of the foul, the cutout along the bottom that allows room for the glove box door hinge is pushed so far forward against the dash frame that the hinge will not fit. I destroyed the box trying to get it back out. Wasn't but $15.00 but it was $15.00 wasted. Just a bit of info for anyone thinking about one of these boxes. I know others have had success, I did not.

Thought I'd post this for anyone considering the Classic Industries cardboard glove box for A bodies. My '73 Sport project did not have a glove box. I'm at the point on the interior where I'm ready to install one and ordered it from Classic. My car is a factory AC, don't know if it matters or not. The cardboard glove box does not fit. It is so deep that the back of the box fouls the back side of the heater/AC box. Again, don't know if it's AC specific or not. The lower front edge of the box has a tab on each end that fits under the dash lip and lines up with the two bolt holes there. Because of the heater/AC box foul, these tabs are pushed so far forward that there is no way to line the holes up with the dash, in fact the tabs bend double. Also, because of the foul, the cutout along the bottom that allows room for the glove box door hinge is pushed so far forward against the dash frame that the hinge will not fit. I destroyed the box trying to get it back out. Wasn't but $15.00 but it was $15.00 wasted. Just a bit of info for anyone thinking about one of these boxes. I know others have had success, I did not.
My 73 has a factory A/C with stock box, I'll measure and let you know the depth if that helps.

You want a Plastic version, and I hear your rant against the web and claims, but! Two varieties exist actually, I have seen both offered in the last week on this site. Spend just a little more time researching and you will be rewarded. A-body north of 70 changed drastically.

Apipco Industries offered some really nice plastic reproductions in both A/C and non-A/C flavors... But my link to their website says that their page license has expired- maybe someone has current info on them?

1969383S - I did the research, even called Classic. This is the one they said would fit. As for the plastic one, I checked out Apipco, too, and saw they were gone. But I have run down a used one from another site and I'm getting it.

I am not aware that there is a different liner for AC vs non-AC cars. There are more than a couple mfg's of the cardboard ones and some are better than others. The last couple I bought were very good quality and I got them off ebay. I think they came from VansAuto.

I always swap in the plastic one when I can. My dart has classic auto air so the glove box needed major modification so I modified a cardboard one. Also, last car I tried swapping the plastic one into was not lining up at all. So at some point the dash frame changed a bit as far as the screw holes go. Thats about all I can tell you. So you cant always directly swap the plastic one in place of the cardboard one.

Last edited:
Is this the one you received. Note the photo is upside down
Screenshot_20200420-190817.png

On classic's site they have the one year only 67 but the photo is not correct. But they shipped the correct one to me.

That's the one I got, and I noticed it was upside down. And it's the one they told me would fit. I contacted them with my complaint, we'll see what they say.

-
Back