Careers ranging in the 50k plus range California

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
What do you guys do for a living? Im almost at that point where I'm 2 semesters from the 'Real life' and it's looking like Law School or CHP or Huntington Beach Police. But the law enforcement type of career is my fallback plan as it was not what I planned. I want to be able to provide for myself and save to provide for a family without having to rely on a possible wife. I'm not the type to care if my wife is helping out but I prefer that I have the option to buy a house and stuff on my own. My major is Criminal Justice as my brother is already a attorney and I work at a Law Firm currently in Santa Ana, while I go to school. I will be working there full time until I get my actual career or graduate law school. Anyone who has law enforcement experience in Ca or where ever feel free to chip in. This is something that has been stressing me and making me sometimes regret my major choice for school.

Can we from the north make guesses ?

If so, what about working for US customs ?

I agree, I would not want to be some street cop in east LA but working the Mexican border might be cool--if you can take the blazing summer heat.

Law school is tough to get in to and then you need to know how write briefs, pass the bar exam. Its a really pain but some guys can do it. I never could, I know it.

Good luck

lawyer ...
1) safer
2) more money (around here anyways)
3) are you an arrogant/conceided enough *** hole to be a cop?
4) same bullshit everyday with idiots on the street

i bailed out of police crap here because of some of these reasons. Now i cant believe i almost became one of these retards... sorry i have no respect for most cops around here anymore after the b.s. i have had to go through the last 4 years to prove innocence

innocent till proven guilty is total bullshit!

The local paper in Beverly Hills, CA recently posted salaries/benefits/pension info for all city employees (public record). Beat cops here average over $120k/yr.! Chief of police makes over $350k. After 20 years, they retire at 80% of their last year's salary. If I had it to do over, I'd sure like to have THAT job!

Everybody hates lawyers...

The local paper in Beverly Hills, CA recently posted salaries/benefits/pension info for all city employees (public record). Beat cops here average over $120k/yr.! Chief of police makes over $350k. After 20 years, they retire at 80% of their last year's salary. If I had it to do over, I'd sure like to have THAT job!

X2 here

Insurance is a good profession, especially if you have a little bit of entrepreneur in you and open your own agency after getting a few years experience. The pay ranges from decent to excellent, the hours are good, and if you like dealing with people, you'll have your fill of that.

sep the girls

Ya thanks guys, ive just always liked working on cars, so i want a job that will allow me to save and maybe open my own business someday like a small hot rod shop

If you wanna by a house in Anaheim, 50K a year ain't gonna cut it. Going the cop route and then furthering your education from there isn't all that bad an idea. I know quite a few officers that have done that.

Ya thats why if I do Im thinking Newport police or HBPD or CHP

Its easier to become a cop vs a lawyer.

Maybe everybody hates lawyers but they all seem to be getting married

Its what you want to do, some guys love being a lawyer and going to court and trying to "tear" the witness up on the stand. To get his client off who he believes should be let off.

EX: you are on your property line planting some shrubs when your neighbor and his buddy come on over and start hassling you cause he doesn't want those shrubs near his property line. The yelling escalates in to pushing-punching and its 2 guys vs 1 guy. The lone guy picks his shovel up and strikes the 2 guys, breaking 1 of the guys arms.

Police-ambulance show up and don't buy the lone guys claim of self defense and hit him with some felony, assault with a weapon.

Some people love fighting for that lone guy, those are the ones who should become a lawyer.

Me, I rather hang out in a shop

I wouldnt be a criminal lawyer or aka ambulance chaser.. I would do stuff with businesses lying about the money they make or stuff like that

-
Back