CARLISLE PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH RESTAURANTS..ANY GOOD ONES???

-

partsmonsta

Massively Over Powered And Respected
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Man, I LUV Pennsylvania Dutch Food and Carlisle is right in the middle of it.

Can you Guys refer me to any of the best ones. I went online and it seems that many are masquerading as Penns Dutch, but arent. WHAT ARE THE REALLY GOOD ONES? A light drive would not be a problem.

I want the real deal...red eye Gravy, those PA Dutch Mashed Potatoes, Purple SourKraut.
Help me out GUYS.

just a heads up....the PA dutch aren't Dutch at all, not even Dutch descendant for that matter
their lineage is German (which in German is Deutsch...so I always figured some englisman misheard that and figured they meant Dutch)

just a heads up....the PA dutch aren't Dutch at all, not even Dutch descendant for that matter
their lineage is German (which in German is Deutsch...so I always figured some englisman misheard that and figured they meant Dutch)

their food however, is outstanding

their food however, is outstanding
Yea, I know it's really German Food, but nothing you will find anywhere but here in PA.
Too many copycats serving CheeseBurgers...I need the REAL DEAL.

Put out some feelers, wilya?

Spent lotsa time in the area.
It's a nice drive to either of these:
The General Denver Hotel in Lititz, PA,
fine dining, ancient hotel, worth every penny.
Jennie's Diner, east side of Lancaster, PA,
on the north side of Route 30 where the sprawl ends and the farmlands begin. Much lower cost, but every bit as good.
Pies are "to die for", I think they were home baked by old ladies on farms and brought in. I hope they are still open.

Spent lotsa time in the area.
It's a nice drive to either of these:
The General Denver Hotel in Lititz, PA,
fine dining, ancient hotel, worth every penny.
Jennie's Diner, east side of Lancaster, PA,
on the north side of Route 30 where the sprawl ends and the farmlands begin. Much lower cost, but every bit as good.
Pies are "to die for", I think they were home baked by old ladies on farms and brought in. I hope they are still open.

Will google the address when I'm up there. thanks for the leads. I'm getting warmer.

Walnut bottom Voted # 1 for 2015 good food, fast & friendly service

If you are looking for BBQ I recommend REDD"S in downtown- evertyhing is great- don't pass up banana pudding- then go to Massey's on the South end of town (route 11) for frozen custard

Did anyone stop at Jennie's in Lancaster, or General Denver Hotel in Litizt?
Wonder if they are still good...

Did anyone stop at Jennie's in Lancaster, or General Denver Hotel in Litizt?
Wonder if they are still good...

I wanted to, but the rest of the Guys I was with didnt wanna drive the hour, Walnut Bottom Diner and a Pizza place.
Had to settle with the PA Dutch Concession at Carlisle. Which was no problem...chipped ham, baby swiss & dijonaise Sandwiches for lunch all weekend was fine by me.

The country roads straight across are so beautiful and peaceful, I remember one morning driving from Litizt to Mechanicsville PA, where a bright orange 70 Dart 2-door with slanty was for sale in a small town corner used car lot, and I had bad pangs of longing to add it to my stable.
I was in some stupid new GM rental car, and wished I could somehow figure out some angle to drive that Dart for the next week or 2 that I was in the area.
Must have been about 2002.

-
Back