Carpentry, lowering baseboard.

-

Cope

Fusing with fire
Reaction score
I saw a picture of this on the web and finally got a chance to try it out. I gotta say I'm digging the end result.

20190207_112254_zpsc6oaclo8.jpg

This one bed room has 7 outlets and the base will drop under each one. Its gonna look cool.

There are ways to keep it at an even, consistent height.

Remodel boxes if the wiring length allows it.

Buy baseboard the right height if not.

Or rip them down with a table saw.

For every problem there may be multiple solutions.

I saw a picture of this on the web and finally got a chance to try it out. I gotta say I'm digging the end result.

View attachment 1715286539

This one bed room has 7 outlets and the base will drop under each one. Its gonna look cool.
I can guarantee you that there is not enough base at the local store if I were to try that. I'd mess up so many cuts, I would end up tearing it all off and buying something smaller. Good for you for giving it a shot. I hope it all works out well for you.

Yeah I could rip it but I like the look of this.

We're gonna do a few strange things with the trim in this house. It's an old Victorian so they want the really high base.

It will get painted, not by me tho. I'm just finish work.

Honestly, if they just wanted to rip the base or something like that they should higher someone whose hourly is MUCH less than mine. This is the kinda stuff I get hired for..

:)

That gives me a headache just looking at it
Sorry, but while I appreciate the skills that went into it, it screams "poor planning" to me
(Then again, I've ripped face plates down on a choose a because I didn't think about baseboard when I put my outlet in)

You know what?
I think it might it might look better if you were to split the angles on the little downward pieces
The parts that's point down, make those an inch or so wider on the bottom
If that makes sense

Very cool! I would love to see pics when completed. Once you have the "aesthetics " figured out, its math and angles(easier said than done though) lol.

In my concrete days they would always bring me in on the special kind of stuff. I always have to take the plan and figure out how to make things wotk. Lile a radiused wall outside the house that the architect draws a arcing point from 40 feet inside the house? How did that Jack wheel think I was going to pull a tape from 40 feet inside the house and make a radius around the house from it? I figured it out for them. Same house they wanted a circular changing room made of 8 in thick concrete right outside the new swimming pool. They also wanted arched windows in the radius walls formed. It had to also come back out after the concrete was poured which most people don't think about LOL until they're trying to get the wood bulkheads out of the concrete without chipping it away. That has to be free thought out as well LOL

Nice ! but I didn't know you were a carpenter too. I'm envious.

I like it. I setup and operated a molding machine for a few years, I have made miles of any kind of base or crown or whatever you can think of. I built my house and shop, learned lots from dad and grampa. Figuring out solutions for problems like that is fun

Thanks. I'm no longer a carpenter full time. My buddy calls me up for stuff like this. I probably spend a week on this house then be back working at the shop.

I enjoy the figuring it out part and I realy enjoy making it look good.

My pops always says, " A true craftsman will take all they have learned and apply it to the next project and always strive to make this one a little better than the last one."

I love watching my skills grow be it metal work, wood work or whatever.

Looks really cool Cope, I like it!

Why are the outlets so low? Just bending over that far to plug something in seems like a pain. Also, there are some combinations of things they won't be able to plug in. I can't be certain of the dimensions, but I don't think even a six out would fit there.

there's an optical illusion going on there , I had to look at it for a minute to see what was exactly what was going on . show a picture of the room when your done if possible . looks good .

Thanks. My girl said the same thing. She said it looks like one of those impossible cubes.

I'll take some more pics today.

I may do one of the door casing folds today. (The door casing is large enough that in some spots it hits the wall)
Normally the casing get ripped but this is fancy custom made casing so I'm gonna fold it.

there's an optical illusion going on there , I had to look at it for a minute to see what was exactly what was going on . show a picture of the room when your done if possible . looks good .
That should have been done with the wall plate on the receptacle in place. With the plate on afterwards his dimensions will be off.

If its a newly renovated room, I would be calling everybody back. Move the outlets up and re-do the wallboard. But it is a cool solution. Much better than hacking a chunk out of the baseboard - which was done quite often. As for outlet position, they put them wherever they wanted. LOL. Have seen plenty in the floor on old houses. Often added long after built. Place I lived in Scranton PA was originally gas lighting. Wiring added later. Plaster over slats.
(Not mine, but I did some work for landlady while I was there.)
Lotta fun to work on.

The outlets are 12 inches off the floor. The base is 14 inches high. This house was built in 1900s and God knows when the electrical boxes were installed.

I didn't hang the boxes, didn't pick the base, I'm just working with what I've got.

Ripping the base is not ideal because in the areas where there are no outlets the base would have to be short there to.

That should have been done with the wall plate on the receptacle in place. With the plate on afterwards his dimensions will be off.

Nope. I traced the plate on the rock. It's dead nuts on all sides.

Infact you can see my plate on the floor and the lines on the rock.

:)

I think the effect will work well in a Victorian home. All the little details are what make that architecture so beautiful.
Are you splitting your webtime between FABO and Houze now ? lol

Nah, I know there are some dam fine wood workers hiding out here and figured I'd share.

I agree, if this was a new home I'd call the eletriction and make him move his boxes. Then again if it was a new cookie cutter home I would not have gotten the call and I'd be working on that dam drift car...

I've been a custom cabinet builder and house trimmer most of my life, now retired, and I have never seen that, I like it a lot.

Jeff

I've been a custom cabinet builder and house trimmer most of my life, now retired, and I have never seen that, I like it a lot.

Jeff

Thank you.

You're the type of person this was aimed at. Not everyone seems to understand what high end finish is.

That complement form a life long trimmer means a lot.

:thankyou:

-
Back