Carpeting for 69 Barracuda Fastback

-

The Barracuda

Reaction score
Okay, it's time to replace the old carpet in my 69 and I'd like some feedback. The old carpet was torn out in the 90's by my grandpa and uncle and replaced with a couple rolls of green loop from a store somewhere. It's serviced me until now but I need to get a proper replacement; everytime I look at an exposed frayed edge it drives me nuts.

But I was wondering if anyone had any experience ordering carpet for a 67-69 Fastback, or any car for that matter. Which store is best to order from? Year One? Legendary? Any other store I don't know about? I probably need to get some samples to determine which color green I need (either green, dark green or dark olive green).

I'm also hoping to replace my seat covers as well down the road and I might order everything together to get it all done at the same time. Any advice would be appreciated!

Year one is a reseller, steer clear. Do a search on here, lots of threads on carpets.
ACC comes to mind, not sure if legendary makes their own carpet or not?

I ordered an ACC carpet kit for my 69 fastback from an eBay vendor, it was a good fit, cosole and cargo area, rear seat back. It was the most complete kit I found, while you could certainly find just the passenger area alone cheaper, this covers everything and had minimum trimming. The vendor had a color chart with all the factory colors. It is a custom order and will take a month probably.

20170909_190658.jpg

I got my legendary seat covers from Dante's Mopar, It saved on shipping for me and Dante treated me way better than Legendary at Carlisle and that's a deal breaker for me. The seat covers and buns where Legendary, same price .

20180624_160513.jpg

As stated above, Legendary & Year One (at least in the past) resold ACC (Auto Custom Carpet) kits. You could go directly to them or look at some of the smaller retailers (like Dantes) who may not charge full retail or who may have a special going on. Check eBay as well for the same ACC kit. Competition drives down the cost. Also, most of the retailers (big or small) will be drop shipping directly from the mnfr so you will see a lot of free shipping offers. GL.

I got my full Fastback set of ACC from profitautointeriors in Alabama. It was a complete set including the console. I got the mass backed set and was very impressed. The nice lady on the phone is a history buff and likes to talk about it. She claimed my request was not correct but I had the original stuff in front of me. She agreed and what I got including a headliner from Legendary that is not listed on Legendary’s site was spot on! Good folks and the best prices usually! Give them a look!

If you need seat covers as well, then wait to till late November as Legendary always does a sale around that time with free shipping and the best prices.

Last edited:
ACC is the only manufacture of automotive carpet since they acquired the Trim Parts carpet line back in November of 2017. Once the order is placed with ACC, the material is cut the night in which the order was processed. The next day it is molded and boxed for shipment. So your generally looking at a two to three day process on most orders.

As others have stated, you can check out various vendors for the carpet and deal with your favorite. I would suggest in not ordering the carpet until your basically ready to install. Once it does arrive, remove from the box and lay out in the sun to help remove the wrinkles from the boxing. ACC has some You Tube videos to aid in the installation.

If you should be attending the Mopar Nats next month, we will be delivering carpet to the show on presales. We always have the carpet ordered long on the sides to give you flexibility on the installation.

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone. This is some good feedback. So what I gather the carpet is pretty much made by one manufacturer and resold by different stores, Year One and Legendary included. I'm in Canada so I'd have to get it shipped (I can ship it to a depot close to the border and go pick it up). According to the ACC website, the dark olive green is year specific while dark green is not. I can't remember for the life of me what color it was (anyone want to venture a guess from the photo?) but it seems closer to the olive.

42719299445_c860295564_b.jpg

I ordered an ACC carpet kit for my 69 fastback from an eBay vendor, it was a good fit, cosole and cargo area, rear seat back. It was the most complete kit I found, while you could certainly find just the passenger area alone cheaper, this covers everything and had minimum trimming. The vendor had a color chart with all the factory colors. It is a custom order and will take a month probably.

View attachment 1715202168

Looks clean back there. Is the carpeting on the sides a factory option? I have the vinyl panels on the sides.

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone. This is some good feedback. So what I gather the carpet is pretty much made by one manufacturer and resold by different stores, Year One and Legendary included. I'm in Canada so I'd have to get it shipped (I can ship it to a depot close to the border and go pick it up). According to the ACC website, the dark olive green is year specific while dark green is not. I can't remember for the life of me what color it was (anyone want to venture a guess from the photo?) but it seems closer to the olive.

View attachment 1715203058

Looks clean back there. Is the carpeting on the sides a factory option? I have the vinyl panels on the sides.
No carpet in my cargo area original was some kind of vinyl mat bottom and vinyl leatherett on the sides, but I'm not doing a number match resto, and nothing is glued in, I padded the rear seat back, but the pattern for the floor didn't leave as much room so I put sound deadner behind it.

20180513_203520.jpg

Check your fendertag for interior colors.

View attachment 1715203058

Check your fendertag for interior colors.

God, I would love to. That would make everything much easier but the fender tag, along with the inner fenders, rotted out a long time ago and whatever was left was replaced with new fenders. Losing that bad boy still irks me today.

I got my whole interior from Dantes. Seat covers, foams, door panels were Legendary, carpet ACC, headliner? My side panels weren't carpeted but they came in the kit, happy I used them.
Nice kit. nice avatar.

Have they fixed this problem? The fastback needs carpet on the sides of the rear seat. (I cut a piece out of the old carpet to fill this)
2008-07-22_004.jpg

Alan

If someone can post a detailed picture of the pieces in question, I can forward the pictures to our ACC rep. I have attached a picture from the ACC site, I am not sure if the pieces in question are pictured. Thanks for any input as ACC is very interested in updating any issues as our rep is a a Mopar guy and the VP of sales is a Mopar guy as well. It is much easier to resolve issues when you have someone working on your side and they are working on some trunk mats for us at this time.

67_69_Cuda Fastback Carpet.jpg

What about the Mass backing option? Do you need it? I know the standard carpet comes with some padding, but is it the same padding found on a oem carpet. More or less padding?

If someone can post a detailed picture of the pieces in question, I can forward the pictures to our ACC rep. I have attached a picture from the ACC site, I am not sure if the pieces in question are pictured. Thanks for any input as ACC is very interested in updating any issues as our rep is a a Mopar guy and the VP of sales is a Mopar guy as well. It is much easier to resolve issues when you have someone working on your side and they are working on some trunk mats for us at this time.

View attachment 1715203217
When I get home I can send you some pics of a couple things that could be better

The pictures would be great and I will forward them to my representative.

On the "mass backing" the description is as follows:
"Our Mass Back is made of 40mil thick Ethylene vinyl acetate which gives the carpet a dense rubber backing to reduce heat and noise within your vehicle. The Mass Back is applied to the back of the carpet and then molded to the correct shape. This Mass Back carpet more closely duplicates the original factory materials for many later model OEM carpets. Because this is an upgraded product, there is a surcharge for this backing, as well as additional shipping costs. In most cases jute padding will be included with the carpet, and may or may not be attached to the bottom of the carpet made with Mass Back, depending on the application."

The original carpet backing was a product made from horse hair. Needless to say, that is no longer available. The regular padding is now known as "shoddy padding" and is a man made fiber material. It is not as thick as the original backing and I know some shops who purchase the shoddy padding to help with the contours of the floor boards. I know with the mass backing, some still use the shoddy padding as well for the contour forming.

The mass backing is much heavier and more difficult to cut. That is the only complaint that we have had with the product.

The pictures would be great and I will forward them to my representative.

On the "mass backing" the description is as follows:
"Our Mass Back is made of 40mil thick Ethylene vinyl acetate which gives the carpet a dense rubber backing to reduce heat and noise within your vehicle. The Mass Back is applied to the back of the carpet and then molded to the correct shape. This Mass Back carpet more closely duplicates the original factory materials for many later model OEM carpets. Because this is an upgraded product, there is a surcharge for this backing, as well as additional shipping costs. In most cases jute padding will be included with the carpet, and may or may not be attached to the bottom of the carpet made with Mass Back, depending on the application."

The original carpet backing was a product made from horse hair. Needless to say, that is no longer available. The regular padding is now known as "shoddy padding" and is a man made fiber material. It is not as thick as the original backing and I know some shops who purchase the shoddy padding to help with the contours of the floor boards. I know with the mass backing, some still use the shoddy padding as well for the contour forming.

The mass backing is much heavier and more difficult to cut. That is the only complaint that we have had with the product.
Would mass backing replace sound deadener, or is it still recommended to get it?

When I spoke to the ACC rep today, he told me that most of the shops that he was calling on were going to the mass backing. These shops are doing a lots of the restomods and more custom cars, but he said that they were going this route and not using the more expensive sound deadners like Dynomat. The mass backing is basically a heavier and dense man made backing material to offer stiffening and sound absorption for the floor boards of these cars.

Just think of molding roofing shingles to the back of the carpet. It will make the carpet underlayment much more quieter and stiffer.

When I spoke to the ACC rep today, he told me that most of the shops that he was calling on were going to the mass backing. These shops are doing a lots of the restomods and more custom cars, but he said that they were going this route and not using the more expensive sound deadners like Dynomat. The mass backing is basically a heavier and dense man made backing material to offer stiffening and sound absorption for the floor boards of these cars.

Just think of molding roofing shingles to the back of the carpet. It will make the carpet underlayment much more quieter and stiffer.

I think the mass backing helps it hold shape better as well. Like mentioned though, as soon as it arrives get it out the box and let it relax. I am very pleased with the only exception on my FB was it was a bit tight and would not lay down against the tunnel in the far rear area of the back foot wells. It has since relaxed with heat and time. The fact it is not cut or offered console specific makes it a little fun as well. Mine had lots of excess to trim out of the sides, front and rear (which I liked). Don’t forget to get a cheap soldering iron and burn the holes for the belt mounts and seat mounting to prevent it from stringing out.

Last edited:
Have they fixed this problem? The fastback needs carpet on the sides of the rear seat. (I cut a piece out of the old carpet to fill this)
View attachment 1715203208

Alan

Sounds like the wrong kit was either shipped or ordered. I had lots of excess in that area to trim with my hook blade.

310071AF-35BA-4367-8604-6B2EA7008D3A.jpeg

Last edited:
This was the original underlayment from my 69 FB. Pretty thick, funny how it seems the driver side and both rear footwell areas got the wear. No one must have road shotgun much. I traded this and my original vapor liners behind the door cards to James Filmore at DMT in exchange for some gaskets and such I needed. He said he had bought lots of the original type material and was making cutting templates for re-production. Not sure if he has offered any yet.

The Mass backing seems to be spray on but also includes a similar type backing on top of the spray coat in the heavy traffic areas.

8BC7EF6A-4187-48F1-B527-99D6C625D683.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back