Carpeting for 69 Barracuda Fastback

-
I have learned through the years to have the carpet cut long. The sales department assistance that I use will always modify the order to leave extra material on the sides and top. Otherwise, it will be cut tight to the pinch welds and not give you much to work with. Much rather have to deal with cutting a little off, vs. having a wrinkle that is not giving you any extra to work with.

RPM, it looks from the picture you posted that ACC has addressed this issue. The rear fold-down seat on A 67-69 Barracuda does not reach all the way out to the rear side panels. What Al was referring to was back in the day, the little strip between the seat and the sides was not included. Maybe because they supplied a generic rear section of carpeting for both Darts and Cudas.

And just for the record.... not all 67-69 Barracudas had carpeted rear wheel houses. It was part of the Deluxe extra cost interior package. The flat cargo area and rear fold-fown panels were always carpeted though. Again, back in the day, it was extra $$ to get those pieces from after market suppliers. Looks like they may now be included with all orders?

The kits are offered in different packages. You can get them for just the floor or up to full packages and anywhere in between.

The one RPM posted is a full deluxe FB package with console.

That was the kit I ordered as my wheelhouse cover vinyl was to far gone to save. My car is standard interior equipped but glad I opted for the complete Deluxe kit. And the rear floor piece is one piece, no strips. Lots of extra to trim.

Last edited:
423F948E-4839-4DF5-8983-64DC444AEECB.jpeg
9E9A54E2-C560-43B6-8925-A79F13761D33.jpeg
I recently did carpet in my 69 cuda. I bought the ACC kit from Rock Auto with mass backing. It was the cheapest with cheap shipping. It’s all the same anyway, near as I can tell. ACC Spears to be about the only choice. I like the mass backing. I did one before with out it and it didn’t hold shape as well. I also used the Noico Dynamat clone from Amazon and it was substantially cheaper. The only difference was that the tin foil is a little thinner and tears easier than dynamat. I bought a roll of aluminum refrigeration tape from Lowes & covered up the tears and seams. I put it in the trunk and behind door panels too. What a difference in sound deadening! Very quiet inside! I would do the same again. The only problem I had was that the console carpet piece seemed too long.

Did the Rock Auto insulation come with an adhesive or did you have to glue it with a spray adhesive ?

The dynamat clone stuff has a peel of paper backing and it’s own adhesive. It doesn’t seem all that sticky when you are installing it, but after the car has set out in the sun you can’t hardly get it back off. Works a lot better than I thought.

The ACC carpet had no adhesive. I had the thin rubbery mass backing layer on the carpet, the the shoddy pad type insulation in selected places similar to the original. The mass backing was not on the rear cargo area pieces. I put them on with 3M 77 spray contact adhesive. I took the floor and wheel housings out of the car in the rear cargo area to make them easier to work with. Not sure whether that was a good idea or not, but it worked. Mine did not originally have carpet on the wheel houses, so it was a little bit of an ordeal working the carpet under the chrome trim. I didn’t glue down any of the forward pieces except the console. The console piece seemed to long and didn’t really fit right. Will have to do that over.

I bought carpet from Stock Interiors for my previous car & it was also ACC. Didn’t have mass backing & didn’t hold its shape as well. I was going to order from them again & somebody told we to check Rock Auto. They were about $50 cheaper shipped. Rock Auto seems to have about the cheapest shipping (except for free). The prices from places with free shipping were all much higher.

The dynamat clone stuff has a peel of paper backing and it’s own adhesive. It doesn’t seem all that sticky when you are installing it, but after the car has set out in the sun you can’t hardly get it back off. Works a lot better than I thought.

The ACC carpet had no adhesive. I had the thin rubbery mass backing layer on the carpet, the the shoddy pad type insulation in selected places similar to the original. The mass backing was not on the rear cargo area pieces. I put them on with 3M 77 spray contact adhesive. I took the floor and wheel housings out of the car in the rear cargo area to make them easier to work with. Not sure whether that was a good idea or not, but it worked. Mine did not originally have carpet on the wheel houses, so it was a little bit of an ordeal working the carpet under the chrome trim. I didn’t glue down any of the forward pieces except the console. The console piece seemed to long and didn’t really fit right. Will have to do that over.

I bought carpet from Stock Interiors for my previous car & it was also ACC. Didn’t have mass backing & didn’t hold its shape as well. I was going to order from them again & somebody told we to check Rock Auto. They were about $50 cheaper shipped. Rock Auto seems to have about the cheapest shipping (except for free). The prices from places with free shipping were all much higher.

I'm curious what's the clone insulation made of, or what's under the shiny layer?

I just purchased the carpet kit from Dante's and I am in the process of cleaning the floor boards. Ordered the sound proof from Rock Auto, based on the posts. Still undecided if I will be taken out the wheel houses and rear deck yet. My 69 Cuda has a bench seat and 4 speed (factory) but doesn't seem to have any upgrades to the interior . Thanks for the info and pics.

The silver stuff Is Noico sound deadener I bought from amazon. It is butyl rubber backed by tin foil. I had some dynamat and the Noico and they were about the same, except the price is about 3x for the dynamat. You have to watch out for the dynamat knock offs. Some of them are made of aspaht stuff like house shingles. I haven’t used any of the asphalt stuff. May be ok, but I was concerned it might smell on a hot day after reading some reviews. If you buy it, buy the biggest box you think you might need as the sheets are bigger. I think I bought a coupe of 60 sq ft boxes, as I did the trunk and under the door panels & everything I could stick a piece to. I ran out and bought a 10 sq ft package and got 10 1ft pieces. Pain to work with small pieces.

In the trunk I bought some stretchy speaker box carpet and spray glued it down over the shiny finish. Used a piece of plywood covered with it over the spare tire. Turned out real nice.

All of this really quieted down the interior of the car. I am old and cranky & like loud cars where the loud stays on the outside. This seemed to be a big improvement.

-
Back