carter 2 barrel help!

-

snowcrow

2 Time dart owner
Reaction score
Just rebuilt my carter 2 barrel to make my 225 a super six. I have the intake for it as well. I cannot find where to connect/mount the choke.

The original is yeah for the single barrel. Would it work the same with the 2bbl even tho it's at a different angle??

the bimetal choke housings are completely different between the single and double

I'll take a pic and post it later today for you... oh they are getting difficult to find.

Slant 6 Dan would say get an electric choke kit for it but I dont have the kit number though you can try slantsix.org

I can confirm, the 1bbl choke won't work. It operates in the wrong plane. But you will need to chop out the side wall of the choke well to fit the 2bbl style choke. That, or find a super six exhaust manifold. See pic.

img_4028-jpg.1714861037

View attachment IMG_4028.jpg

Last edited:
Save yourself a bunch of hassle on all fronts of this job, avoid having to modify the exhaust manifold, and wind up with a better-than-stock (because adjustable) choke: get a № 1232 Electric choke kit which will bolt directly onto your unmodified exhaust manifold and hook right up to a Slant-6 Carter BBD.

I feel that my setup is unique since my carter 4421 looks different than alot of the pictures I've seen. This pic is it mounted to the intake manifold I got for it.

Attachments

• WP_20151217_001.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 165
That's a '68 318 carb, which means the choke lever won't hook up directly to the \6 choke. Get the № 1232 electric choke kit and make a new choke pushrod out of brass rod stock from the hardware store, and off you go.

You'll need the throttle linkage/bracket setup (and shorter throttle cable) that goes with the 2bbl. Also the auto trans kickdown linkage, though if you don't have that see this thread for kickdown options.

if I don't use the kickdown, ill just be missing "overdrive" right?

Er…no. You don't have overdrive. If you don't use the kickdown, the transmission will short-shift into third gear at very low road speed, will not downshift into second or first when you floor the accelerator to pass somebody, and will burn out in short order. This is not an optional frill, it's mandatory for proper transmission operation and lifespan.

dont mean to hijack this thread, but if you have a single bbl set up, there is no kickdown right? Meaning if you floor the pedal, it does not kick into 1st gear. At least mine doesn't.

The kickdown is only something that you have when you move up into the 2 bbl set up. Correct?

dont mean to hijack this thread, but if you have a single bbl set up, there is no kickdown right? The kickdown is only something that you have when you move up into the 2 bbl set up. Correct?

No. This is not an upgrade or a fancy extra feature. It is basic equipment. All Chrysler Corp vehicles with automatic transmission have a kickdown linkage of one kind or another.

Meaning if you floor the pedal, it does not kick into 1st gear. At least mine doesn't.

Yours is faulty and/or missing parts -- fix it.

dont mean to hijack this thread, but if you have a single bbl set up, there is no kickdown right? Meaning if you floor the pedal, it does not kick into 1st gear. At least mine doesn't.

The kickdown is only something that you have when you move up into the 2 bbl set up. Correct?

Even 1 bbl slant 6's had kick downs...

-
Back