carter 2 bbl leakdown

-

dbfour

Reaction score
has anyone had the problem of the carb (2 bbl. carter) leaking down over night. i must pump the gas to get it started, once it's is started starts easy the rest of the day. carb has been rebuilt but still does the same thing.???????? help

Yep. I actually had 2 different problems with my 2 brl. The bowl would empty over time and it would leak fuel and flood the engine after run. Then it was hard to start.
I changed a few things that cured all my problems. A thick base gasket for a later model keeps the fuel in the bowl cooler which probably helped. A air pocket in a see through fuel filter mounted horizontally was making me crazy too. Idle rpm was changing with the cycling of that air pocket. A new fuel pump and relocating the fuel filter vertically in the line near the pump was another change I made.
In the end I think the accelerator pump linkage adjustment was the main culprit. The pump rod wasn't returning quite high enough to open the bowl vent.

Yep. I actually had 2 different problems with my 2 brl. The bowl would empty over time and it would leak fuel and flood the engine after run. Then it was hard to start.
I changed a few things that cured all my problems. A thick base gasket for a later model keeps the fuel in the bowl cooler which probably helped. A air pocket in a see through fuel filter mounted horizontally was making me crazy too. Idle rpm was changing with the cycling of that air pocket. A new fuel pump and relocating the fuel filter vertically in the line near the pump was another change I made.
In the end I think the accelerator pump linkage adjustment was the main culprit. The pump rod wasn't returning quite high enough to open the bowl vent.
a thicker base gasket is big help with hot starts....this so called gas we get today is has a lot alcohal in it witch causes it evaporate faster on car with carburators and to boil out went engine is shut off hot.

-
Back