Status
Not open for further replies.

TNCUDA

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hello all

I have a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda. It is a Formula S. Has a 273, 4bbl automatic. I am in the process of getting the bugs from the previous owner worked out. One of the issues is the choke! the vacuum pull-off is missing. I have been searching the internet for the needed parts but seem to come up empty. Is there anyone that has or knows someone that may have the parts I need? I need the pull-off, and the linkage. The carb is a Carter AFB-3854S, 4bbl. Carb number 4299S. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Perry

The Carburetor Shop, Eldon, Missouri. Jon is retiring selling all his Carter stuff.

Screenshot_20230225-034941_Firefox.jpg

20230225_035040.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

If so, it's a '67 383 carb. Should use the same pull-off and linkage though. Might be jetted a bit rich for a 273.
A 4299 is wrong for a 273, jetted too rich and, if I remember correctly, does not have a velocity valve to keep from having a bog when floored. I won’t be able to check my parts till Monday.

The stock jetting is not radically different and depending on how the engine is built and the fuel being used, a 4299 might work pretty good. Jets can be changed if needed, and who knows if the stock jets are still in there.

@Torqueflite Has a 4299 that is a parts carb. He might be willing to part with some of the parts.

The choke pull-off on the parts carb was fried, but they can be purchased new from Mike's. I converted mine to manual choke.

A 4299 is wrong for a 273, jetted too rich and, if I remember correctly, does not have a velocity valve to keep from having a bog when floored. I won’t be able to check my parts till Monday.

The 4299 would be a great carburetor for a 273 when properly tuned for the specific engine. It's a nice middle-ground 537 cfm as far as AFBs go, and jets are easy to change out during a rebuild and rods at any time to lean out the carb. I'd agree that it is the incorrect carb for a numbers-matching build, but I wouldn't let tuning the jetting stop me from running it on a 273. Mine does great on a 325.

You're correct that, like many AFBs, the 4299 doesn't have the secondary velocity valve, but if @TNCUDA properly tunes the carb it will not bog down when going from low part throttle to wide-open throttle. A bog may occur when mashing the throttle from fully closed to WOT due to multiple factors that aren't related the the secondary velocity valve, but I can't think of a situation where I would ever do that. At the track, I'm going WOT from staging with the engine wound up into the power band. On the street, I'm going WOT when already rolling at low part throttle to enter a highway/freeway. To kick down into passing gear, I'm already rolling at part throttle. In all these situations, I've never had bogging with the 4299 after I got the jetting and springs dialed in. I'm just one person, however, so others' experiences may differ.

The choke pull-off on the parts carb was fried, but they can be purchased new from Mike's. I converted mine to manual choke.

The 4299 would be a great carburetor for a 273 when properly tuned for the specific engine. It's a nice middle-ground 537 cfm as far as AFBs go, and jets are easy to change out during a rebuild and rods at any time to lean out the carb. I'd agree that it is the incorrect carb for a numbers-matching build, but I wouldn't let tuning the jetting stop me from running it on a 273. Mine does great on a 325.

You're correct that, like many AFBs, the 4299 doesn't have the secondary velocity valve, but if @TNCUDA properly tunes the carb it will not bog down when going from low part throttle to wide-open throttle. A bog may occur when mashing the throttle from fully closed to WOT due to multiple factors that aren't related the the secondary velocity valve, but I can't think of a situation where I would ever do that. At the track, I'm going WOT from staging with the engine wound up into the power band. On the street, I'm going WOT when already rolling at low part throttle to enter a highway/freeway. To kick down into passing gear, I'm already rolling at part throttle. In all these situations, I've never had bogging with the 4299 after I got the jetting and springs dialed in. I'm just one person, however, so others' experiences may differ.

A 4299 can be made to work, but the original will work as is from the stock Commando/Charger 273 with it's small cam to a 273/318 with an aftermarket intake and cam to up to a 284* duration. Like the carb was specificly tuned for the HP 273. The velocity valve was used, like current Edelbrocks, to use a larger than usual carb on an engine. Same principle as a Q-Jet, AVS, or TQ.

Since that 4299 carb was made, most engines have been rebuilt to various specs, The carb may have been modified, and the fuel has changed. All these factors have to be taken in consideration when choosing, jetting, and adjusting a carb. Here in Ca. we have two different oxygenated fuels (winter blend and summer blend) that generally run a lot leaner than the gasoline of old.....not to mention that it's now lead free and has a different octane rating.

A 4299 can be made to work, but the original will work as is from the stock Commando/Charger 273 with it's small cam to a 273/318 with an aftermarket intake and cam to up to a 284* duration. Like the carb was specificly tuned for the HP 273. The velocity valve was used, like current Edelbrocks, to use a larger than usual carb on an engine. Same principle as a Q-Jet, AVS, or TQ.
Agreed. If the OP can source a 273 or 318 AFB, it'll be closer for tuning for sure. Good AFB cores are getting hard to find, at least in my experience, especially with alcohol-mix fuels that see water collecting in the accelerator-pump well and rotting it out.
If the OP isn't constrained by a period-correct carb, I'd look into a new or rebuildable Edelbrock/AVS even if the air cleaner needs modification or an adapter.

Agreed. If the OP can source a 273 or 318 AFB, it'll be closer for tuning for sure. Good AFB cores are getting hard to find, at least in my experience, especially with alcohol-mix fuels that see water collecting in the accelerator-pump well and rotting it out.
If the OP isn't constrained by a period-correct carb, I'd look into a new or rebuildable Edelbrock/AVS even if the air cleaner needs modification or an adapter.

If you are running an original 273 intake, the later AFB and Edelbrocks will not open the secondaries fully because of the small bores in the original intake, otherwise I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back