Carter 9636 on an LD4B - what's it take?

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Just thinking out loud here. I have seen a few Carter 9636 Comp. Series carbs for sale lately. I like the idea of them - spread bore, simple to use/tune and rated just about right for the LD4B equipped 318 on my Dart.

I already have 4 barrel throttle linkage. Just wondering what else it takes to mount one of these on that particular manifold - do I need an adapter or will it work as-is? Will it work right?

I'll prolly just end up gettting a $50 Holley 1850 off Craig's List and be done with it. However, if the Carter is easily done, I might consider it.

Thanks for any input.

-Greg

Thats not a spread bore carb, it is a 625 cfm I believe and would work well on a 318. I have a carter comp. series carb on my 273, it works very nice.

The 9636 will bolt right on, as will a 1406 Edelbrock. Basically the same carb, except the 9636 has the advantage/disadvantage of a charcoal canister connection for the bowl vent.

Good thinking buying a $50 used carb, we need more "Why can't I make this POS carb work?" posts. They quit making this carb almost 20 years ago. A new 1406 might be cheaper in the long run.

I have used that combo and liked it alot. The LD4B is a nice big runner for the 318 and will breath well. The 9636 carbs are ding dong dead reliable carbs, great for everyday useage.

I equiped my 318 with a small cam and headers w/3.21 gears and ran a 15.14 untuned. (Crane 216-228/.454/.480-112)

Good thinking buying a $50 used carb, we need more "Why can't I make this POS carb work?" posts.

Just a new kit for an Edelbrock 1405/1406 and your off. These carbs are so easy to rebuild.
I have two FREE Edelbrocks on my 440 i got from my dads neighbor. One I rebuilt and replaced the floats, the other I just cleaned and readjusted. They work great on the tunnel ram!

-
Back